Part 1

One

The end of the summer. Most would hate it and try to cram as much fun into their last few days as they could. Most would be out at the beach that was so close soaking up as much sun as their bodies could and they didn't care if they burned either. They would rejoice in that pain which meant they would look great for their school's homecoming.

Well... That was everyone but me. I didn't care. What was there to care about. My summer sucked. My friends had moved away at the start of it leaving me alone. Their parents moving them away. Far away.

I tried to take solace in the places we hung out at, but that never worked. I would just feel even more alone and more of the freak I used to be. The one my brothers would pin everything on or sucker into doing their chores.

I was that insignificant person again. Had been since the start of the summer. Had been the moment school got out and I was friendless. Since they had friends, everything was set on my shoulders or the house would have been a mess.

Everyday during the summer was the same. I'd wake to the sound of the shower squealing as my bedroom was right next to the bathroom. The walls were paper thin as if was a house built by crappy, cut every corner possible, construction company during the new deal that helped people get jobs they most desperately needed. That the company needed to make so many cheap houses for as little as they could. My bed so happened to rest against the wall that butted up to the bathroom.

I would get up and dress. Go to the tiniest kitchen ever and make breakfast for everyone. I was the designated house chef as my brothers would most likely kill us with their cooking. My mom was the one getting ready so she didn't have time to cook anything, especially for herself. My dad? He's in Washington state and we're in Virginia. A step-dad? He can't be bothered with the "womanly duties" as he puts it, so no...he doesn't cook.

My mom has three kids. Me being her one and only daughter. To be the next in line in my family to go into the medical profession. Its all I hear from my mom when she is talking to one of her friends when they as her what I wanted to be when I grow up. My grandmother and a few of my aunts are the same way.

There is one aunt that has actually asked me what "I" wanted to be when I grow up. She was the only one who really cared what I wanted in life. I told her I wanted to write and paint and be a fully artistic person. She smiled and told me not to lose that enthusiasm. She was my favorite aunt.

My mom and dad devoiced when I was two. They had a rocky love/hate marriage. Apparently they only got married when my mom was pregnant with my big brother by another man. They had dated off and on for years before they married. He did it because he loved her then and wanted to be a father to her child. That didn't work out that way very much.

They had two kids together. Me and my little brother. (I'm a middle child to boot.) We were a little over a year apart. From what I hear, I was expected, my little brother wasn't in the slightest. The reason they devoiced was because my dad thought my mom cheated on him and my little brother was the other man's. Not true by the way. My little brother was all his.

Back to my routine... After breakfast, I'm left all alone in the house as everyone went their own ways leaving me behind. No one asking if I wanted to join them if they were going to the beach. No one even glancing back to see if I was alright to be alone. Sometimes they even lock the top lock of the front door totally forgetting I was inside.

I'd spend time cleaning the house as there really wasn't anything for me to do but that. I'd do laundry. I'd dust every few days. I'd read some books. Since I'm dyslexic, it helps to keep reading and overcoming my disability so it wasn't one. I'd sometimes write my own stories just for the hell of it. If I was bored with nothing else to do, I'd watch TV.