Chapter 23: It's Complicated

After learning all about Balthazar, and a bit more about Cas's past as a warrior of heaven, Jack turned to Anna.

"So what's your deal?" He asked innocently.

"What do you mean?" She questioned.

"Well, Dean and Cas don't seem to like you very much," He admitted. "Why is that?" Cas scowled.

"Don't worry about it." He warned as Gabriel and Balthazar started laughing.

"I lost my grace," Anna explained. "So I fell to Earth and grew up as a human until I started hearing the angels talking again,"

"And by angels talking," Balthazar went on, "She means that Cassie yelled 'Dean Winchester is saved' loud enough for fallen angels to hear it."

"That's ridiculous," Cas insisted.

"No, it's true," Gabriel agreed. "I swore you gave me permanent ear damage that day." He rubbed at his ear, as if the emphasize the point. Jack grinned.

"Anyways," Anna continued. "The Winchesters and Castiel fought me and helped me recover my grace."

"And then you betrayed us." Cas said shortly.

"I did not betray you." She retorted. "I was only doing what would've been best for us all."

"Killing Sam Winchester would've been best for us all?"

"WHAT?" Jack questioned, alarmed.

"It would've robbed Lucifer of a vessel!" Anna said.

"He would've found another!" Cas replied.

"I cannot believe you are still upset about this!"

"I can. You attempted to murder Sam!"

"I second the motion," Gabriel piped up. "I'm still pissed you stabbed my moose."

"It was for the greater good." Anna proclaimed.

"And you believed in it enough to go back in time and MURDER Mary and John Winchester?" Cas said angrily. Jack's eyes widened. That didn't sound good.

"Oh please, Castiel, we all know why you're really mad at me," Anna crossed her arms and glared at him. The car fell silent as Gabriel and Balthazar exchanged smug, knowing looks.

"....What?" Jack finally asked. "What happened?"

"Can-" Gabriel started.

"NO." Cas retorted.

"But-" Jack began.

"DEAN AND ANNA HAD SEX AND CASSIE IS JEALOUS!" Balthazar supplied. Cas settled into a death glare and Jack made a face.

"Gross," He declared. Well, he supposed it all made sense then. Why Dean was so awkward around her, why Cas was so hostile.

Castiel was usually a very protective angel, after all.

"So that happened, then she went back in time, the Winchester clan followed, Sammy got stabby and Michael showed up and smitted her and she died. The End!" Gabriel said cheerfully.

"Okaaaay," Jack said awkwardly. "What about you?"

"What about me? You know me, we've met before."

"Well, yeah, but you died before I really got to talk with you." Gabriel shrugged.

"What do you want to know, kid?" Jack thought for a minute.

"What happened between you and Sam?" Balthazar and Anna glanced over curiously, and Gabriel let out a low whistle.

"Cassie, how much time we got?" He asked.

"At least six hours," Cas admitted. Gabriel nodded.

"Well, that's enough time for the basics," He guessed.

"Is it really that complicated?" Jack raised an eyebrow. Gabriel smiled ruefully.

"Yeah, uh..." He looked at him sheepishly. "Sam and I were really close, but somehow, I seem to always find a way to mess it all up."

"Like how Dean and Cas always seem to mess things up?"

"Hey!" Cas jumped in, offended. Jack shrugged.

"You always work it out eventually. Why can't Sam and Gabriel do that too?"

"Because Sam is more stubborn," Gabriel insisted. "And he knows all of my buttons and how to push them."

"He'll come around eventually." Gabriel gave him a halfhearted smile.

"I hope so."