Chapter 16: Long Road Home

Castiel and the others wandered out of the forest and along the road until they ended up in a small town. For once, Castiel was grateful that angels had no need for food, water, or sleep, seeing as those would all be expensive inconveniences, and they had no money.

Gabriel snagged a map from the nearest gas station while Cas figured out where in the world they actually were. 

"Maine," He offered to the other angels. It was a long way to get to Kansas, but they'd have to make the trek anyways. The only entrance left to heaven was in a playground in the Midwest, and Castiel knew he'd have to stop there first to get Anna, Balthazar, and Lucifer back to heaven.

Even though every part of him just wanted to have Gabriel fly him straight to the bunker.

"What do we do now?" Anna asked.

"We'll need a car," Castiel began.

"A car?" Balthazar raised an eyebrow. "Can't we just poof up wherever we need to be?" Castiel paused. He was the only angel out of the bunch that lacked wings, and Lucifer and Gabriel certainly knew where the bunker and the gate to heaven were.

"Nevermind," Cas muttered, sighing. "Lucifer, how about you show Anna and Balthazar how to get into heaven, and Gabriel and I will head to the Winchesters."

"I'm not going back up to heaven until I get my side of the deal," Satan declared. "I want to see my son." Castiel scowled.

"And somehow, I doubt it will go over well if you walk into the bunker."

"Bunker?" Balthazar echoed. "Oh my Dad, did the Winchester boys finally invest in a sex dungeon?"

"Yes," Gabriel confirmed just as Castiel said "No." The angel sighed. If Lucifer wouldn't take them, then either Gabriel or Castiel would have to. And neither of them really wanted to take the detour.

"Screw it," Cas threw up his hands. "We'll all go pay a visit to the Winchesters, and then you three will head back to heaven."

"Winchesters always come first, don't they Cassie?" Balthazar smirked.

"I don't think they'll want to see me," Anna admitted.

"Why, because last time they saw you, you tried to murder my moose?" Gabriel guessed. "Or is it because you had an awkward one night stand with Dean?" Balthazar and Lucifer burst out laughing.

"Is that for real?" Lucifer demanded. "TELL ME THAT'S FOR REAL."

"It is," Castiel said through gritted teeth. They howled with laughter.

"No wonder Cassie's so mad at you!" Balthazar declared. "You screwed his boyfriend!"

"His what?" Anna raised her eyebrows and Gabriel started cackling.

"This is going to be great," The trickster sighed. "C'mon Cassie, let's go and start this little family reunion."

So they headed to Lebanon, popping up outside the bunker because you couldn't just zap right inside. 

"You would think they would've invested in some angel warding," Gabriel commented.

"That would ward me away too, so Dean rejected the idea," Castiel explained. "And we're not sure how angel warding affects Jack, so we didn't want to risk it."

"Can we go back to the fact that Luci has a son and Castiel basically adopted him?" Balthazar insisted. 

"What do you want to know?" Lucifer questioned.

"When did you have a kid??"

"When I possessed the president."

".....Damn, I missed a lot."

"If only you knew the half of it," Cas sighed. He stared at the door to the bunker and smiled faintly.

He'd kept his promise, alright.

He'd found a way back.