(S1) Move 1: New Horizons

Balaras Citadel, 12 AH

"Well, my amir, how do you like our new city thus far?" Urdin asked his brother-master as they were left alone in the newly-redecorated throne room, merely a fortnight after the city's occupation. Despite the growing whispers, Ingi had opted not to head back to his capital at Arenda and see to his own family just yet.

Leaders must know when to attend to what; and right now, the fates of hundreds of families hung by his word.

"Certainly not a bad seat for someone who'd managed to be a thorn on our father's side," came the reply as the present Lord Hospodia looked around. "With this, his legacy is secured, wouldn't you agree?"

His brother shrugged while clicking his tongue. "Depends on your notion of 'legacy', really."

Ingeras smiled. "What he's built, we shall nurture. What he's left undone, we shall finish. What he's left unseen--"

"We shall enter," the general joined, smirking. "That said, congratulations are in order for your obtaining a new chair to sit on, and a newer chamber to sit in. May this rule that has been entrusted to you be long and prosperous."

"Amen." Ingeras nodded fervently. "Let's now get to details, shall we?"

"After you, my amir."

"The first step, in my opinion, would be to repopulate the city and revive trade. With those in place, we shall obtain the resources needed for repairs and other sorts of improvement."

"And how do you propose to do that?" the general inquired.

"Audience to Yasnar is to be granted in an hour's time, see what he has to say as one of the former men of responsibility here. The very first thing to see to, in my opinion, is securing the trade routes from Arenda to here; and for that, we'll need to have dependable garrisons in both cities."

Urdin nodded. "Sensible. Trade policies beneficial to all would also need to be formulated, as well as sending well-sayers to directly persuade the common folk to get back here. To that end, I suggest you start seeing to the city's defenses, my amir--none could ever be convinced to live in a city if this aspect isn't tended enough."

Lord Hospodia smiled at his brother's brazen yet spot-on remarks.

"That, dear brother, as you can see, is already progressing. Our siege works did a decent job, I'd say, as did the enemy's navy."

"Our works are nothing if not decent. As for their navy, I'm of the opinion to have a look myself to their shipyards sometime today. The traders, now... Keeping the sea lanes open and safe will be another load of its own."

Ingi leant back in his new grand seat, exhaling. "Hear, hear. Bright side is, we now have two shipyards to pool resources from. How's the outlook on other powers?"

"Last I heard, a certain Prince Aerion is declared to have sway over the people of the town of Estreon, further west. Not that he claimed to be of any new House, for that matter."

The current amir of Hospodia blinked. "So we shall have another contender."

"Deal with them we shall, my amir, at a time best to all. Meantime, let's not forget that we are seeing to our own people's welfare, as all leaders do."

The amir resumed his upright stance. "Quite right. There is also the question of who shall oversee affairs here prior to my making it as our House's new capital..."

Urdi's well-honed sense of strategy flared up at such a heady remark.

"Our... new capital, sir?" he gasped. "That would be an honor, indeed."