Prelude: Ambers of Our Time

Elbar Palace, 82 AH

"Dista! Come on, I just want to talk!"

That call echoes through the corridor I find myself in. This place is also known as The Grand Way, the main road in the palace. From here it branches to many forks and twists so numerous you could get lost in them, as once happened to myself.

For now, I better find somewhere to hide... Oh, I know--behind the drapes!

"Dista, dear~ Come on now, it's not like I'm going to bite you or anything..."

Through the slits I hear the graceful tap, tap coming closer. Then, almost immediately, it ceases.

"No? Fine then, guess Grandma would have to know."

Not even a shout, but enough to make me tremble slightly.

Grandma is said to be the second best tracker in our entire realm; but I'm just twelve... There's no way she'd quickly spot me, right..?

T-then again, were she to find me... what would she have done? Would she really live up to her fearsome nickname?

As I peek on, still without giving away my whereabouts, Mom halts and looks around for a short time. She then walks directly on to where I’m hiding, with pupils like those of an eagle’s--doubling her current spookiness.

Whatever are you doing there, child?

“Hi… Hiiiiii!!”

Now get out here!

“Y-yes, Ma’am!!”

Mom observes as I proceed to do so, frowning as I pat away the thin layers of dust from my upper garment, sneezing all the while. By then her eyes are in their normal state again.

“Gracious. Why did you not just hear me out in the first place… Now we’d have to go to a thorough makeover.”

“Uh… sure, Mom. Anytime…”

I wipe my nose with a finger after another sneeze, to Mom’s wince.

“Whatever are you two going on about there?” another voice joins. It belongs to another lady with long purple hair, flowing right down to her waist; obstructed only by her jet-black dress; a sharp contrast to the pale complexion.

"Kharashir," the comer says, addressing my mom who--standing with me at a proper distance--has directed her own gaze to the carpeted floor, not daring to shift it just yet.

"To be graced by your presence, my lady..."

"Oh, do away with the frills. Look up."

Mom does, casting a worried glance my way.

“Now, what do we have here… Oh my, Dista dear, have you been adventuring again?”

“Yes, Grandma! You know me!” I nod with a big smile. “Hugs?”

“But of course, dear.” She spreads out her arms with a slight smile rare of her--at least before everyone else. “Come.”