Chapter Forty-Two - Stealing Panties

LUC

VARIOUS REASONS PREVENTED ME from sleeping well. One, I kept overthinking the whole day from start to finish. If Riley had another name, and her purpose had originally been for testing, what test implied such underhanded tactics? 

NIO must keep those answers in their digital system, or somewhere in their database to keep track. They probably had files on hundreds of other people within the compounds. If only I were to find Riley's documentation in their archives to get a clearer picture. But to imagine that I'd gain access... without getting caught...

I watched the line dividing shadow and light sweep across the ceiling as the sun began to rise. The room was sound and quiet, dust-still. During the night, Waffle had exited the room with her tail undulating in the air, returned, and left again. She stopped to rub my shoulder in between, as if to check if I was still breathing.

Caldwell had offered me a deal that I'd refused. I had to monitor Lauren, and in exchange, everyone else would be left alone. The mere consideration was enough to lift my stomach in revulsion. My mouth dried thinking about the altercation in the woods with my sister, the indifference in her voice. I was at a dead end on the leads, and she wasn't opening up. 

Maybe if I did side with NIO on this one, progress would be made. But to share that progress with them was like trading my family.

Hopefully, enduring Raymond would amount to something worthwile. I'd have to call him again and reschedule. With Riley now occupying the cabin, and me not being sure yet about telling her, I'd have to work around that.

Which brought me to my second reason for not sleeping. 

I felt her breath and the weight of her pressed against my side. It was a strange torture, lying with all of my body against hers without being able to move. It was fucked up. But I didn't hate it. 

I did need to stop focusing on it before I'd do something stupid. Mind games. Psychological barrage, if you will. Another mental lap around the threat of NIO. In theory, it sounded great, but in practice, not much to find as a distraction in this boring room. She was the only thing to look at.

Riley's leg rubbed up and stayed there. I fucking froze. 

Tendrils of caramel blond hair, like dandelion fuzz, scattered across my chest and tickled my neck. Her reddened lids twitched every few seconds, making her eyelashes squinch over the freckles. 

I could feel the monkey brain pushing to take over. If I stayed still long enough, it'll pass. Her eyes rolled underneath those lids, and Riley's brows knitted before curling around me warily. I stopped breathing entirely for a moment. Her knee hitched up and I felt all of her chest.

God almighty. 

I was such a moron, getting myself into these situations. Or a mad genius.

As I studied her face all scrunched in her sleep, a small, anxious noise hummed out of her. A nightmare...? My thoughts stopped short. I found myself reaching over to wipe my thumb across her shoulder, and the strain in her face loosened. Ah, definitely a moron. 

By the time early morning rolled around, I managed to sort my brain in order again. I stealthily extracted myself and sneaked out of the room. My whole body was ringing in a messed-up kind of thrill. 

Waffle perched her head up and followed me, excited to get moving. Rubbing my groggy eyes, I changed clothes, stumped my heels down the stairs and stared out the bay window. 

School started in two hours. I usually didn't rise so soon and hardly woke up thirty minutes before classes, but I decided to take care of some matters. I was beginning with arrangements. Riley had nothing to dress in for today, and no personal belongings.