Chapter Thirty-Five - Stay (p.2)

LUC

WHEN SHE LEFT TO GET THE ICE, I padded over to my room, unable to stand any longer. I fell in bed with a splitting headache and moaned into my pillow. My lids screwed shut. I didn't hear the door creak open or Riley tiptoeing inside. I peeped only as the mattress plunged slightly at the edge and she was sitting there, with the promised ice and a jar of peanut butter.

"Thank you." I reached for the pack and squeezed it on my stomach.

In the quiet, she visually explored my room with the interest of someone who never set foot here, which she never has. I used to have some decoration going on, but they lost their appeal about a year ago and I took them down. 

That left the place with bare walls, a large bed butted against a corner, a dresser and my desk. Bland. The last piece that jumped out was the soft carpeting, and I had a large window door leading to a high balcony.

"You can lie down. Promise I won't bite now."

Our eyes latched together as she considered the spot next to me, but she shuffled on top of the covers. She inched near to the point where I could count her freckles and her lashes.

"So... what happened?" Riley chanced, bunching her legs and they grazed mine in the process. "Why are you injured?"

"Lauren," I pronounced, and the mere sound of her name felt like I was breathing with shards in my lungs. "I tried... and she whooped my ass. Turned into an actual She-Hulk."

She scooted to see me better. Horror was painted on her face, but she wore the compelling stare that made it hard to say no. Her voice thinned. "She did this?"

I nodded, and the events unrolled out of my mouth. It was difficult to admit that I lost a fight, but I took the L, and she listened patiently. As I spoke, it seemed to shape into reality in my mind. I hadn't been out for blood, but my sister hadn't hesitated.

"It's like she's jacked up on something. The things she did are feasible for us, but not what she showed at the warehouse."

Riley's eyes flicked to the ice pack and then to my face, a crinkle deepening between her brows. "Are you okay?"

"I'll sleep it off." I shrugged. "I'd devour the peanut butter if I could, but my stomach hurts."

"I wasn't asking about that..."

I looked at her completely and my gut twisted. The setbacks, I deserved them for what I did to others. If only I knew how to fix it today. But Riley was lying next to me, and I could at least make this one right even if it meant that I had to eat crow.

"I never wanted to cut you from the people at school. It made you happy, and I took that away from you. I did the same to my sister."

There was no denying the way I forced both of them to give up their freedom. I had a reason for it, but the idea of pushing them to the edge was—

"I know," she whispered. I peered at her, and a resolution overcame the set of her jaw. "But it's better this way. If NIO decided to use Sam or Jen as bait, I'd... I don't know how I'd live with myself. I..."

"But you're still angry with me," I finished.

Her frown was combined to a grin. "No. I was going to say that I forgive you." She went serious for a couple of seconds, allowing the lapse to mark her words. The meaning behind it didn't sink in immediately, and when I grasped how huge it was, I was mentally floating. I wasn't the strong one—she was.

Her eyebrows lifted defiantly. "You still suck, sometimes."

I laughed, and it tugged at the sensitive areas. "Mhmm... what did I say the other day about sucking, Sunshine?"