265. Smoke and Fire

March 24, 2019

"Write inspired by the saying 'where there's smoke, there's fire'. "

"You cannot do this. Cannot you not see, it is going to ruin my life? My reputation and my wedding is at stake. You have to do something..."

He broke off when he caught her expression, half amused and half bored. Raking his fingers through his thick black hair, he paced across the room wondering what he could say or do to make her see sense. Unable to think up anything, he did what he had been doing for the past three days, initially over the telephone and now, for the past three hours, in front of her. He had threatened, tried to reason, then cajoled, pleaded and was now reduced to begging. It galled him to do so, but he could see no way out. 

The funniest thing was he had no clue why she was doing it, though there was a grudging admiration that she had been very clever about it. A few incongruous questions at social gatherings, cryptic phone calls to his direct number and unannounced sudden visits, when she knew that he would not be around. 

The final thing, which was by the most devious, was to make sure that she was photographed while leaving his apartment, in a state that made people draw the standard conclusion, she was his mistress or if not, the woman he was sleeping with. It had not gone down well with his fiance and her parents. That would not do, he was on the brink of desperation and if his engagement broke off, he would be in the pits of despair.

Hence his willingness to beg, on bent knees, though he did not understand why this woman, a complete stranger would be so determined to ruin him. He looked at her again, she was good looking though he could not make out anything from her expression, except when she smile, he could not help but shiver, she reminded him of a wolf.

"Do you remember Priya, from your college?"

He thought for a few minutes before shaking his head, he hardly remembered any of the girls; he had dated quite a few but that was purely consensual, he had never done a playboy number, which in his opinion was to take innocent girls for a spin and then dump them. All the girls and women with whom he had a relationship was an open one, they were aware that it would be nothing permanent. His fiance knew of his past affairs, she had only insisted that once they were engaged, she would be the only woman in his life. He had agreed, his flamboyant lifestyle and changing women had tired him out; and his fiance was a trifle prone to suspicions and tantrums. 

All was well till this woman had started creating smoke.

"Strange you do not know, she was my sister and she was quite upset when you broke up with her for that leggy blond. And now do not say that it was not intentional and my sister should have known that you were not serious, she knew it but hoped she would be the last one. Unfortunately it was not so and she is suffering for it. And I will never forgive anyone who upsets my sister, I do not care who is right, my sister is suffering and since you are the cause we identified you will pay the price. 

You can spend you life trying to convince your fiance that you are innocent, after all it is only smoke or rather a haze, so maybe she will take a leap of faith. Or else, you could come with me and I will see that you marry my sister, this would be what I like. The choice is yours.

And yes, it is unfair, but then all is fair in love and war. My sister loves you so I am at war with you."

And leaving him, stunned and aghast, she walked out, whistling. He stayed still, wondering how his life had come to a stage where the choice was between a crazy possessive woman and a foolish suspicious woman. Throw in the determined lunatic sister and there was enough fire to make the smoke real.

____________________________________

Word count 693 - it is supposed to be a story, but somehow I rambled....