227. Trash Collector

February 13, 2019

"Write from the perspective of a garbage collector."

__________________________________

Garby was a garbage truck and it was his duty to go around the streets allotted to him, collecting all the rubbish that filled and overflowed from the rubbish bins. He was a cheerful little truck, painted in bright orange, though it now could not be seen for a thick coat of dirt covered him. His driver, George, did not bother cleaning him either, there was no point, he would get dirty again.

One of the places from where they would pick up the rubbish, was a construction site and Garby loved to watch the other vehicles, Cranky the crane, Diggy the excavator, Roly and Poly, the concrete mixer trucks, Dumpy the Dumpster truck, Trace the Tractor and Bela the Bulldozer. However, since they were many places that he had to go to empty the bins, he never got a chance to stop and talk to any of them.

Finally, one day he got his chance, there was a problem with Dumpy and he was stranded on the road near the rubbish bin, so there was no way Garby could move ahead to pick up the rubbish bin. He was not worried, he was thrilled that he got his wish and inching forward, he gave a friendly honk. Dumpy gave a lazy blink in return but made no attempt to say a word. Garby was hurt, so he honked again, a bit louder but this time Dumpy did not respond at all. A few minutes later, Garby shouted his greeting, "Hello, I am Garby and I come here every day to collect the garbage. I would like to be friends with all of you and...

"Honnnkkkk" 

The loud honk silenced Garby, who was quite startled and then Dumpy spoke, in a very rude voice, "I think you should learn whom to speak to. You are a dirty little garbage truck, who stinks and if you think any of us would like to talk to you, you are wrong. None of us want to be near you, let alone be friends. Go away, you little stinker."

There was silence all around, Dumpy had spoken loudly and everyone around had heard, all the men, the drivers and the other trucks. But no one came forward to tell Dumpy that he was wrong and that he had to apologise. After a few minutes, George got into the truck and Garby drove away, feeling sad and angry.

Garby was not the only one angry, George was too and he wanted to see that the trucks learnt a lesson. So from the next day onwards, they did not drive to the construction site. One day became two, two days became three and soon, it was week that they did not visit that site. And slowly the site began stinking as the rubbish heap grew bigger and bigger. Finally the workmen at the site had to clean up the rubbish themselves and they set about doing it. 

After all the rubbish had been gathered and bagged, they needed a vehicle to carry the bags to the landfill. They looked around to see which truck was most suited, when they saw the dumpster. Dumpy was horrified when he learnt that he had been picked to carry the garbage, he honked and hooted, and tried to sink his wheels but there was no use, all the bags were loaded on to him and he set off to the landfill. As they drove back, the smell of the garbage still on themselves both Dumpy and his driver realised their mistakes; they had been rude and Garby was not little, he was very important to them.

The next day, George was surprised to receive a call from the foreman of the site who requested him and Garby to come over. George did not want to, but then his supervisor, who had learnt of what had happened was cross, "It does not matter what people think of us or what the trucks tell you, it is our duty to clean the rubbish and we will do it. Now go to the site right away."

A sullen George and sulking Garby made their way over, only they were in for a surprise, again. This time, there was no garbage and all the trucks with their drivers were lined up and the other workmen stood in a group. When they came close and stopped, the foreman apologised on behalf of everyone stating that they had forgotten both their manners and the fact that no job was big or small. George and Garby were stunned, they had not expected this but that was not all, Dumpy rolled forward and honked, making Garby jump. Then he boomed, "I think we were little stupid for refusing to be your friend, if you can forgive us, would you be our friend?"

Garby's lights grew round and he blinked, before nodding yes, amidst horns and toots. From that day the construction site was his favourite pick up point, not only because he had his friends, but even the rubbish was piled and binned neatly.

__________________________________

Word count 840 and this is the result of telling too many stories to my cuddle monster.