260. Forgotten Toy

March 19, 2019

"Write from the perspective a forgotten or lost toy."

_________________________________________

I sit in the corner, of the old trunk, all alone. It is better than being under the bed, where I had been for the past two weeks, the maid does not sweep under the bed on a regular basis so it was quite some time before I was discovered. 

It was not like that earlier, when I was the constant companion to the baby boy of the house, he never let me out of his sight and those days I would never be thrown under the bed. My body is also worn out because he refused to let go of me, bath tubs are not every nice to me, nor is being drooled on or used as a chew toy when he started teething. That was painful, worse than being dunked into a bubble bath, he almost bit my arm off. Then mommy had to sow me up, which was also painful. But I liked the matching sweater that she made for me, baby would love it when we both wore our sweaters, beige and navy blue. He did love me dearly.

It changed once he had to go to school, in the first few days, he cried for me and mommy allowed me to go with him. It stopped once his friend fought him for me, and in the process they pulled off my leg, another round of stitches, though I had to start wearing denim trousers to hide the stitches. So no more play school for me.

We still played once baby was home, though the colours and play dough left permanent marks and stains on me, and my fur got rubbed off in places too. But I enjoyed baby's company, even though I knew he was growing up.

All too soon, it happened, baby started walking and wanted cycles and cars and trains, not me, a teddy bear. Once when his mother refused to give him chocolates, he threw me and I ended up under the bed. He has grown up, you see, he went to sleep without me.

And now I stay in the corner of the trunk and once in a while mommy takes me out, gives me a hug and whispers, "I know you miss baby, I do too, he is all grown up." A shy kiss and back to my corner I go.

______________________________

Word count - 387