206. Greed

January 23, 2019

"Write about someone who always wants more – whether it be money, power, etc. etc."

___________________________________

This reminds me of an anecdote that I read and still remember, it is a favourite in our family when we talk about politicians (surprisingly we find both politicians and greed to be inseparable, sort of, for though you could find a greedy person you would rarely find a politician who is not greedy.)

An Indian MP once visited America and was a guest of the residential congressman. He was quite impressed by the wealth the American had and on his last day, unable to curb his curiosity, for he had an idea as to how much the American congressman was paid as a salary, he asked, "I apologise for asking you but how is this possible?" gesturing to the palatial house the congressman lived in.

Understanding the unspoken question, the congressman rose from the table, led his Indian guest to the large bay window overlooking the river and pointed, "Can you see the bridge?"

Perplexed the Indian MP nodded his head when the congressman gave a conspiratorial whisper, "10%."

A few seconds later when the same became clear, the Indian MP beamed in understanding and appreciation.

A couple of years later, the American congressman was a guest at the Indian MP's home and was thoroughly impressed by his Indian counterpart's palatial house and lavish lifestyle. On his last day, he asked the same question and the Indian MP replied in a similar fashion, "Look out of the window, do you see the bridge?"

The American congressman was flabbergasted when he could see nothing outside the window, not only was there not  a bridge, there was no river either; not even a trickle of a stream. It was then that the Indian MP laughed and said, "100%."

It could be a story, but somehow it reflects the tragic reality of Indian politics and the rampant corruptions in our society, driven by pure and unadulterated greed.

_____________________________

Word count 307