Chapter 4: Oh My Ghost

"Where did you even get a Ouija board?" I ask in bewilderment, my eyes glancing back and forth between the case and a very mischievous looking Gilbert.

He grins at me, uncomfortably reminding me of a shark. "I know a guy," he says, winking at me. I'm not entirely sure what he means by that, but I don't really think I want to know either. He's that kind of guy.

"Francis why the hell do you have scented candles?" I ask, looking to the Frenchman, who is setting up candles around my living room. "And why did you bring them? We have lights."

"It's called getting in the mood, my friend," he says, and I'm pretty sure that was an innuendo as well as an answer. 

Meanwhile, Antonio is making food for tonight. I can hear his singing from where I stand in the living room and I groan. 

"I thought this was going to be a serious thing," I tell myself, not wanting to offend anyone with my opinion. I know they're trying. I just wish they'd realize just how important this entire situation is. This is pretty much all of my sanity, or lack of it, being toyed with by whatever is here.

"Alfred, what's going on?"

I wince and turn to face my mom, who's studying my two friends with apprehension in her eyes. The other two wave to my mother and introduce themselves before going back to setting up whatever the hell they're planning.

"Hey, mom," I greet awkwardly, guiding her away from the living room and towards the stairs.

"Alfie," she says, "I'm glad you're making friends, but let me know whenever you invite people over, okay?" 

I sigh and rub my eyes, forcing a smile so she won't worry. "Sorry, ma, it won't happen again."

She nods, and her eyes fall back to the living room, where Francis has started to light his scented candles. "Son, this isn't...a gay thing, right?"

I laugh a little at the comment and shake my head. "No, mom. This isn't a 'gay thing'."

She purses her lips before nodding and heading up the stairs, to change I assume. She has to wear suits to work, seeing as she's a lawyer. She's probably working so much in order to build up her reputation in this town, seeing as she isn't that well known here.

Somehow, Antonio manages to create Oreo balls for us all. Oreo balls, in case you didn't know, are these fudgy chocolate cake balls covered in white chocolate, and they're delicious.

Making sure my mom has retired to her room for the evening, I shut off all the lights, causing the room to be filled with an ominous, inky darkness that sends chills rushing through my body. My only comfort seems to be the flickering orange light that fills the room now, thanks to the dorky candles Francis decided to bring. However, they cast hauntingly beautiful shadows across each of our features, which is creepy, to put it simply. I was always scared of the dark as a child, but I had gotten over my fear until now. Now, I can barely stand the darkness. I've even contemplated sleeping with the bedroom light on, but I know that'll just keep me from falling asleep.

"Are y'all ready?" I ask, looking between my three friends as we sit around the now ominous looking Ouija board.

Gilbert smirks in response, but I can still see the nervousness behind his eyes. He's pretty terrified, too. I bet we all are. Without so much as another word from anyone, the Prussian takes the top off, revealing the board itself as well as the paddle thing. I forget what that thing is, but it's what you place your hands on, right?

He silently places the container to the side and places the board down. We all stare at it for a moment, as if paralyzed by something. Growing rather antsy from the lack of movement, I place my fingertips on the object and look at the others expectantly. They all quickly follow suit, looking much less confident than they did originally.