Chapter 1: The New House

"You sure this is it, ma?" I ask, looking up at the admittedly creepy structure in front of me.

It's an old Victorian styled house that my mom claims we're moving into. It's about two stories tall with an attic and a basement, and it's a light, sky blue color that is way more pleasant than the building deserves. A short cobblestone path leads up to the front porch, which is rather wide and the same blue as the house. On the right side of it is one of those swings that people in movies always seem to have. It's not painted, just a regular old brown color that actually gives the place some more character, as if it needed any more.

"Yup," my mother, a rather short woman with long dark hair and tanned skin, replies. Her ancestors were Native Americans, which is something I find really cool. But I look way more like my dad, with my blonde hair (including a stubborn cowlick that never obeys me) and bright blue eyes. I'm pretty much as American as you can get. "This is the place," she adds, handing me the print out of the house.

Curse photographers. This place looks way better in the picture than it does in real life. At least, it's not that far away from school, so walking there won't be much of a chore.

I sigh. "Where's my room?" I ask, following her through the modern, white-colored door. 

Right when you step into the house you're in front of the staircase, which is about five feet away from the door. On the side of it is a hallway that seems to be leading to the kitchen. Directly to the left, is a doorway to the living room, which already houses our furniture, thank God. To the right is an entrance to the dining room, which also holds our furniture.

She waves me off and ties back her long black hair in order to start unpacking right away. "Go pick one, but leave the master bedroom for me."

I nod and take my small box, the one I was too nervous to leave with the movers, just in case, up to the second floor. The steps creak under my weight, but it's not too obnoxiously loud. Bouncing up the rest of the steps with loud noises, which makes my mom chuckle from below, I start down the hallway.

The second floor isn't really that open compared to the first floor. The stairs lead up to this hallway that faces the front of the house. Down the left side, I find the master bedroom and the office my mom will be using for her work. To the right side are various doors. The first one I come across is the bathroom a rather simple design that's pure white. It totally needs some color. Further down the hallway is a bedroom that seems rather small. It's painted a sea blue sort of color. Something about it seems sort of childish, and I don't think it's the right room. Going further down the hall, there is a supply closet that I can probably put some of the board games I brought in. The last door is another bedroom. 

This room leaves me in awe when I open the door. It's not only a beautiful forest color, there are hand painted trees and flowers decorating the walls. It's almost convincing enough to make me believe that I've stepped into the middle of a forest. I notice my things have been placed in this room as well. My mom knows me so well.

"This is amazing," I breathe out quietly, looking at the amazing art that surrounds me even closer. Whoever did this was astonishingly talented.

In the corner of the room, about a foot or two above the floor, which is a creamy beige color, is a signature of someone with the initials A.K. There's no date listed. 

"Cool room, huh?" 

I turn to my mom and envelop her in a strong hug, which makes her breathing ragged and strained for a few moments. Oops. Sometimes I forget my own strength. 

"This place is actually pretty great," I admit. "Whoever did this is amazing," I add, looking around my new room with excitement.

She nods. "I can't help but be impressed. This takes lots of skill and talent to pull off."

I nod in agreement. "I'd never be able to do this."

My mother stops looking at the walls around as and claps me on the back. "Alright, kiddo, we need to start unloading the car."

I groan, plopping down on the bare bed that sits at the far wall of my new room. "But that means work," I say, groaning lazily. The last thing I want to do is unpack the goddamn car after a five hour drive here with no stops. I don't care what people think. Travel is tiring. I also need to pee really badly.

My mother rolls her eyes at my dramatics and opens one of the boxes in my room. She takes out one of my pillows and chucks it at my head, nailing my forehead with a victorious laugh. 

"Help me unpack the damn car, Alfred," she says, leaving the room. 

I groan once again before obediently following my mother down the stairs and out the front door. Looking around at the barren street we live on, I try to focus on lifting the boxes, ignoring the nostalgic memories of my dad and I doing the sane thing when I was younger. But that was back when he wasn't an asshole and a filthy human being. Whoever said people can't change lied. People can change. It's just not always for the better.

Shaking my head clear of memories I start to bring boxes inside our new home. New home. New possibilities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heylo my lovely little nuggets! Thank you for checking out this story! I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! I know it's pretty uneventful, but I have to set up the plot before I can get into the good stuffs lol! Either way, I'll see y'all nuggety readers in the next update! Until then, have an absolutely fabulous day! Bai!!! >:3

-IggyScones