Chapter Nine

We stare at each other for what seems like forever, that I end up desperately wishing I had never of come in the first place.

"Would you like to come in?" She says finally. I don't answer, and walk towards the hut like house anyway. She opens the door, and scurries in, quickly tidying up.

"Please you don't have to tidy up" I take a look around. It's exactly as it looks in my nightmares. The walls are rotting, well, to be honest everything in the house looks like it's rotting. Damp clothes hang on an old clothing line, and the bed at the back of hut looks very uncomfortable and rotten. I'm surprised the hut is still standing, with the walls being in the condition they're in. The only thing valuable in here is the small projector that only turns on with an update from the capitol, and even that was given to her by Snow.

She motioned for me to take a seat next to her, which I do slowly, and we sit there in silence for a few moments. I fiddle with my thumb, my legs still shaking.

"You've grown" She smiles. I turn to her.

"That's it? You haven't spoken to me in 8 years and that's all you can say?"

"Well what do you want me to say Lucinda?"

"I don't know! Something!" I say quickly, but pause "anything" I mumble quietly.

"Well, I can't ask you how you've been"

"Why?" She smiles at me gently.

"I've been watching you on the screens. I've never missed a moment. I've always been at the Reaping to see you, even if I can't talk to you, I've seen you" She explains. I should have known really.

"So, how've you been?" I ask her.

"Great. Knowing that you lived through another one of those Games is good enough for me." She hesitantly places a hand on my arm. I look down at her hand, she has a few scars and scabs, they're kind of like mine. "How's life in Victor's Village?"

"I can't complain, it's the only home I completely remember after all" She smiles, and nods.

"What about the company?" She asks "Haymitch Abernathy and the new victors?"

"They're okay. I haven't seen them since the announcement, I'm sure they'll probably be more distraught than I am" I sigh, and place my head in my hands.

"I wouldn't be so sure. Haymitch has taken good care of you" She whispers, and I just look at her. "Would you like anything?" She stands up, and prepares something with the little she has.

Why am I here? I really shouldn't be here, talking with my mother right now. This is putting her in danger. This is such a stupid idea. I stand up, my heart thumping so fast I feel like I'm running.

"I have to go" I say quietly, looking down on the floor, silent for a minute.

"Okay" She sighs, and stands in front of me. "I'm so proud of you my dear" She holds onto my shoulders, "It doesn't matter what you're being forced to do, you'll always be my daughter. I know my Lucinda is still in there" I stare at her, then wrap my arms around her neck. She hugs me back tight.

It was a moment when I never wanted to let go of her, kind of like when I was separated from her 8 years ago. But I never thought that I'd ever be able to feel love from my mother again. Now I am, it's surreal. And it kills me to pull away from her but I do, and give a quiet sigh, before seeing myself out.

"Lucinda?" My mother says, just before I close the door behind me "I love you" I smile at her, and nod. But I don't reply, I just close the door, and walk back to Victors Village.