Chapter 34: "Mommy?"

1905

15 years later

She was never supposed to die before him.
Victoria was never supposed to die, or at least that was how it felt like.

Merek stood over the two tombstones, he and Victoria's Mother were the only ones to stay after the service. They both cried in silence, even the young child clinging to the woman's leg made not a sound.

You were never supposed to die.
But she was, and her death was so poetic, so powerful.

Victoria had killed Sayter Hamel. Victoria had killed the Crime Lord. Not for money, not for revenge, because she said she would. This woman that had found love and fallen hard, but stuck to her word.

The Crime Lord was dead, and so was she.
Merek broke the silence with a sob. Again. Dammit if she hadn't been the most wicked and powerful women he had ever met. Across the town the word went as such: Victoria had stabbed the Crime Lord in his sleep, he had awoken, obviously, and decided to take her down with him. He gutted her with the very knife she stuck in his chest. What had triggered it? Had they fought? No, she must of just decided out of the blue, how could they sleep in the same bed with such problems?
He didn't know, and now he never would.
Nobody would ever know the story of how the two post ruthless people tore each other apart.

Merek looked down at the child, she was looking straight ahead at the tombstones. She put a little hand on Victoria's name.

"Mommy?"

It was the sound that shattered Merek's heart.
Tears broke, gliding down his cheeks, getting stuck on the stubble of his beard. He knelt, and Victoria's Mother did not stop him as he held the child's little hand.
No, Victoria's Mother hadn't moved in a very, very long time. Or spoke.

"You're Merdoc, yes? Aren't you just the prettiest girl in the whole wide world, Merdoc. You have some really nice people that are going to take care of you."

The child, Merdoc, didn't look away from Victoria's tombstone. Victoria, who was dead and with a five year old child lost in the world without her. Victoria, who left her alone in the world.

Victoria, who he would miss forever, but never forgive for this.

"Mommy. Daddy." She whispered, not in realization, in farewell. Merdoc would be as strong as her Mother, he knew, because she did not wail. She let her tears fall, they all did, though she did in silence. Yes, this child would grow to be very strong.

It would not bring the two back.

Merdoc was never supposed to be born, and with her parents dead, would she never know it? Would she never know that despite it, they both loved her and each other dearly? Merek turned to tell her such, but stopped himself. She would not listen, she was too captivated by the engravings.

Victoria was dead. Victoria was dead.

Merek was the last at the graveyard that night. Victoria's Mother had taken Merdoc home with her to get moved in. Merek shook her little hand, wiping a falling tear off her cheek, "Come to me one day when you're grown. I'll tell you all the best stories of her."

"Daddy told me that, too. I want stories of Daddy too."

Mereks lip quivered, there was nothing he could do to deny her it. But he would not look the child in the eyes and cry, so he smiled and kissed her forehead, and watched her go.

She was going to be as beautiful and strong as her mother. Maybe as wicked and vengeful as her father. She would learn how to cook. And fight. And play the flute. And read books for hours upon hours. And only then would she remember her parents from time to time. Maybe then would she too learn to enjoy the pain.

Merek laid on Victoria's grave, closed his eyes, and decided one day, he would accept it.

He fell asleep, hoping like the Crime Lord, he wouldn't wake up either.

Authors note:

I want to thank Victoria for being literally my favorite character I have written and for being a bad bitch in general.
As for Sayter, well, you're basically Rourke Farran you sexy bastard.

I want to thank everyone who's made it far and has read till the end. I have raved over this book for so long and I love it so much, I've never gotten a negative comment on this book which was so new to me because my other two books have gotten quite a bit (I don't blame people lol they are problematic)

I am not ready to finish this story, and it makes me so sad. HOWEVER there are more chapters (side chapters) coming out (because a bitch has a lot of time on her hands) that include:
•A chapter from Merdocs perspective as a grown woman
•Sayter before Victoria
•Victoria before Sayter
•Victoria fading away into death, becoming nothing before entering into a new life in Mercys realm, which is also a part of chapter one for Mercy and Victoria's book.
•Mercy and Victoria's book details

If you want to find out what happens to Sayter and Victoria in the afterlife, what happens to Merdoc and if she ever meets Victoria, and what goes on between Mercy and Victoria, it will on be in book two (Merciless) which will be about 10 chapters or so and be based more on smut than story but still cover shit

Again thank you all so much for all the support. I have literally never expected this to get to 100k even when hs bdsm did, this was more personal.

I love you all, I give you my heart ♥️