Chapter 32: An Unexpected Visit

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Starlight," Sunset said as she managed to smile through her exhaustion.

Starlight could see that Sunset needed rest. She grabbed the half-empty glass and left. Applejack and Rainbow Dash did the same. Closing the door quietly, all three joined the rest of the gang in the kitchen.

"How's Sunset?" asked Fluttershy.

Applejack looked sadly at Fluttershy. It was hard to see her friend look so sick. She looked down, removing her hat.

"Not good. She' lookin' sicker every minute. What could've caused this?" Applejack replied, looking up at Starlight.

Starlight, who had just finished washing out the glass, met Applejack's gaze. She wondered the same thing. Filthy Rich had hidden the knife fairly well. But she was sure someone saw something, anything, that would help figure out what knife he used.

"I am not sure, Applejack. Did you girls see anything?" asked Starlight, looking at the rest of the girls.

As Starlight asked the question, Twilight walked in. She sat next to Diamond Tiara.

"I saw something...I think," replied Twilight.

Starlight looked at Twilight.

"Please, tell us. Anything would be useful, Twilight." Starlight said, giving Twilight a slight smile.

Twilight smiled back. She racked her mind, trying to remember what she saw. Her head was beginning to hurt when she finally recalled something.

"I think the handle had a spider on it," replied Twilight.

"A spider on the handle? Did it also have a ruby in it by any chance?" asked Royal Moon as she entered the kitchen.

"Yeah, it did. How did you know that?" asked Twilight.

Royal Moon stood next to Starlight. Taking a deep breath, she began to answer Twilight's question.

"I know that because..." She glanced at Starlight, "I lost someone to a knife like that." replied Royal Moon, lowering her head as she looked at the counter.

Twilight exchanged worried glances with her friends. She could tell that they weren't expecting that kind of news. Turning her attention to Starlight, she saw her rest a hand on Royal Moon's shoulder.

"Star, if the knife Twilight mentioned is indeed what Filthy Rich used, Sunset could be in very real danger," said Royal Moon, meeting Starlight's gaze.

*3 hours later*

At the orphanage, Filthy Rich was searching all the rooms. He hadn't seen one kid since he first arrived. But he could smell their scent over the bleach. Unfortunately, the bleach covered their scents just enough that he couldn't find them. He looked out the west window and saw that the sun was setting. Soon, the girl at the counter would leave, and he couldn't have that.

Filthy Rich called out, "Children, please come out. I just want to talk"

A scuffle of feet broke the silence. Filthy Rich spun around. He saw a young girl, about 15 years old, standing behind him. Cautiously, he took few steps towards her. Her messy blue and red hair hid one of her azure eyes.

"And what is your name?" asked Filthy Rich.

The girl looked as she answered.

"My name is Scarlet Shadow." said the girl, her voice a mere whisper.

Filthy Rich gave Scarlet a kind, yet deceiving, smile.

"Tell me, Scarlet, where are the rest of your friends? I would like to meet them," asked Filthy Rich, keeping his fangs hidden from Scarlet.