Chapter 6: Old Friends?

Twilight walked into her house. She was immediately greeted by her mother. She gulped, knowing that she had arrived a bit later then she had said.

"Twilight Sparkle, what has kept you out later then you have said?" said Mrs. Velvet in a stern voice.

She looked down at the ground, playing with a rock on the floor. She didn't want to admit that she had kissed a girl she barely knew.

"Sunset, my friend I told you about, had gotten sidetracked. I had warned her that I needed to be home at a certain time. But I accept full responsibility for my actions." replied Twilight, her head hanging in shame.

Mrs. Velvet's stern expression quickly softened up as she heard daughter explain her reason for being late. She was glad that her daughter knew how to take responsibility for her actions, good or bad.

She smiled at her daughter as she took Twilight's backpack. "So did you have a good first day?" asked Mrs. Velvet.

She walked into their kitchen, which was pretty spacious. She could see Spike eating his dinner right from the living room couch. She sat down at the dining room table.

"Yes, it was pretty good. I am glad that I have some classes with my new friends," replied Twilight. Her mind wandered to the incident between Trixie and Sunset. She tried her best to forget that but to no avail.

Just as Mrs. Velvet went to speak, the front door opened then closed shut again.

"Hello, I am home," said Mr. Light. He was Twilight's father. As he entered the kitchen, he saw his wife cooking on the stove. He walked up and kissed her on the cheek.

"Hello, how is my beautiful wife?" asked Mr. Night. He then set his briefcase on the table. He looked at his daughter, saying,

"My darling daughter, was your first day of school great?"

Twilight blushed as her dad asked her that question. She loved her parents equally, though her dad was less picky about protocol. She liked that about him.

"My day went well. I had a few classes with my new friends," replied Twilight. She had helped set up the table. She fiddled with her fork as she waited for her mom to serve dinner.

Mrs. Velvet placed dinner on the table. Twilight saw that her mom cooked her a rare steak.

As she saw the red juice leak on to the plate, she thought about Sunset. She wondered if her assumptions were correct. "Could she really be a vampire?" thought Twilight. She decided to not think about that as she ate her dinner.

She finished her dinner not too long before she had to get to bed. She stayed up a little later that night doing her homework. But as she stared at her laptop, she kept thinking about looking up vampires. She wanted to know more about them.

No longer able to fight the urge, she opened her laptop and typed the word 'vampire' into a search engine. She scanned the results till she came across a genuine website. She clicked on it, almost immediately she saw a picture of Sunset with who Twilight figured was her mother.

She jumped back as she saw Sunset's eyes. They were not her normal cyan color but instead, they were a dark crimson red.

As Twilight looked at them she felt a shiver of cold fear run down her spine. She also thought that she saw a hint of human emotion in them. She wondered if this picture was real. She looked at the caption underneath it. It read, 'Picture of Sunset Shimmer (right) and her mother, Starlight (left)at the annual Halloween party last year.'

She breathed a sigh of relief as she read the caption. She was thankful that it was a costume. But her relief didn't last long because of as she began to read the article, she saw that the website talked about Sunset and her mother being vampires. She wondered if the website was as genuine as she first thought.