Chapter 27: The Fall Formal: Part 1

To Twilight, the week flew by. She and the girls did their best to focus on their schoolwork. But Twilight was struggling to keep her focus on school. She had opted to miss a few days of school. But thankfully, her friends and family talked her out of it.

The school bell rang and ended the last period before lunch. Twilight grabbed her bag and joined Pinkie Pie in walking to lunch. They saw their friends waiting for them at the usual spot.

"Hey, Twi. Hey, Pinkie," said Rainbow Dash, waving her friends over.

Pinkie grabbed Twilight's arm and pulled her towards the girls. She stopped once they were next to their friends. Twilight braced herself for the sudden stop.

"Hello, everybody," said Twilight.

"Enough chatter! Let's eat!" shouted Pinkie Pie.

A few students stared at her after she finished yelling. If Pinkie saw, she didn't notice or rather didn't mind. The girls followed her to the current end of the lunch line.

Once they had all gotten their lunches, they sat at the usual table. Twilight kept replaying Sunset sitting next to her. She almost felt a tear form. But she stopped it before it could fall. She wasn't going to allow herself to give into her worries and sadness. Not when Sunset may be coming home, hopefully, safe and sound.

"So...Twi, you having your stitches and bandages removed today?" asked Applejack.

Twilight looked at her and nodded.

"Yes. I am looking forward to not having bandages on my arm and thigh. But at the same time, I dreading seeing the bite mark caused by..." Twilight trailed off.

Applejack looked at her food and sighed. She knew what Twilight was going to say. She looked at the rest of the gang. She saw that they, too, knew what Twilight meant.

"Well, we can be there for support, sugarcube. I mean, if you want us to that is," replied Applejack, her hand squeezing Twilight's shoulder comfortingly.

Twilight smiled at Applejack. She saw the girls smile back. She placed a hand over Applejack's hand.

"I would really appreciate it if at least one of you could come with me, for emotional support," said Twilight.

Fluttershy pulled her hair aside. She managed what courage she could find to speak.

"I-I could go if you want me to," said Fluttershy, her usually soft voice barely audible over the lunchroom chatter.

"I would like that, a lot," replied Twilight.

Fluttershy looked down in shyness. She continued to eat her food. She was happy to help out a fellow classmate and friend.

"Anyone worried about what could happen at the Fall Formal?" asked Rarity.

All the girls' attention turned to her as she asked the question. They all knew that the fall formal was tonight. And they were dreading the confrontation between Starlight and Filthy Rich. They all stared at their food for a while, no one really saying a word.

"I am," said Twilight.

"But I am more worried about how Sunset is. I mean, who knows what Filthy Rich did to her," added Twilight.

Pinkie's usual smile faded. She had tried to remain perky for most of the week. But today, even her fears and worry became too much for her. She let a small frown form.

She saw her friends had similar frowns too. She immediately wiped the frown off her face. She stood up and gave each of her friends a hug. She finally sat back down once she finished hugging Twilight.