Chapter 12: Sunset hesitates...?

Sunset parked her motorcycle in the garage of their house. She was glad that Starlight had installed a special place for her bike. Throwing her helmet on the seat of her bike, she quickly grabbed her stuff. She ran inside, forgetting that she was supposed to talk with Starlight.

Starlight sat in the dark kitchen. She had a glass of rat blood. She watched as Sunset raced towards her room. She made sure to keep her presence hidden from Sunset. She could smell Twilight on Sunset. She finished her glass, tossing it into the sink.

She walked up the stairs, careful of the creaky stairs. She really meant to fix them but she always wondered if Sunset would sneak off. She hid along the darkened wall as she got closer to Sunset's room. Just as she was about to walk in, she noticed that Sunset was writing in her book.

"She has a book? No, not a book. A diary." thought Starlight as she looked at the diary on Sunset's desk.

She felt her hands ball up into fists. She had explicitly told Sunset that having a diary was forbidden. She had warned Sunset that diaries were the reason she had to run for the duration of the Great War.

As she went to step back a floorboard creaked under her weight. She gasped as her presence was known to Sunset.

"Starlight, I know you've been spying on me. Come in, and tell me about how diaries are so bad," said Sunset, knowing what was to come.

Starlight stepped into Sunset's room. She looked down, ashamed that she had been caught. She wanted to be mad at Sunset but she couldn't. She just couldn't. She knew that Sunset loved to write about the events of her life.

"I am not mad, Sunset. Though I have to wonder, how long you've have been writing?" asked Starlight.

Sunset looked at her diary. She traced the sun, unable to look at Starlight. She knew that she had gone against Starlight's rules. But she couldn't help it. She had to jot down her life seeing as she may never die.

"Not long. Just for the past 20 years. I am sorry that I keep it from you." replied Sunset.

Starlight gasped. She couldn't believe how long Sunset had kept that a secret. She sat in Sunset's bed as her head began to feel light. "20 years?! How were able to keep me from seeing it every time I cleaned the house?" asked Starlight.

Sunset got up and went to a half-hidden part of the wall. She whispered some ancient words. As she did so, the wall opened to reveal a secret magical cubby.

Starlight was amazed to see Sunset had managed to control and learn some magic. As she looked into Sunset's cubby, she spotted a picture of Twilight.

"I see you have a picture of Twilight. Which brings me to my original reason for coming in. Have you made your decision yet?" asked Starlight.

Sunset looked down. She had. But she wasn't completely sure if she had the courage to go through with it. She gulped, feeling her dry throat clench.

"Yes, I have. I am going to tell her. But, Starlight, can you help me? I feel so scared of losing her." replied Sunset.

Starlight looked at Sunset. The flame-haired girl seemed to be a shell of her usual self. She motioned for Sunset to sit next to her. She wrapped her arm around Sunset as she sat down.

"I know its scary. Let me ask you this; Do you love her? " asked Starlight.

Sunset nodded yes, looking up at Starlight.

"Then trust that your heart will guide you to the courage you need. And trust that Twilight's love for you will see that you are no different than her."