Chapter Thirty Eight

My phone began to ring early in the morning. Meaning, I have to go to work. I already called in sick yesterday because I felt really awful.

I get up and went to the bathroom. I took a quick shower and changed into my work clothes. I have a feeling I'm getting more work to be done when I get there.

When I get downstairs, the flat is empty. It's almost noon so Louis must've left but I have no idea where Emily and the twins have gone. I took the bus to work, as usual. The ride took longer than usual. Traffic is everything.

The girl in reception greets me a good afternoon before I went inside the elevator. It takes me to the floor of our spaces. When I get to my work place, I'm surprise the table is cleared up. No paperwork. Except, maybe the note that says 'See Eric Walden'.

"hey,"

I turn around and my eyes widen at the sight of Milly and... Oliver. He smiles at me and leans on the divider.

"didn't take long for you guys to meet." I say, sitting on my chair.

"well I came to see you and he's the first person I ran into in the building." she says, patting Oliver's shoulder. "he's cool and a smartass. He sassed me the first time I talked to him." she says in pure amazement. I chuckle and crossed my arms.

"what'd you say?" I ask him.

"nothing." he shrugs. "she was just really annoying and naggy." he chuckles then Milly slap him on the chest. They'd make the perfect couple, being two smart asses and sarcastic humans but then again, Milly and Harry Are quite the pair.

"we're having lunch downstairs, you coming?" Milly asks, leaning on my desk. I shake my head and she frowns.

"I just got here and I have to see Mr. Walden." I say, holding up the note. She nods and drags Oliver towards the stairs.

When I get to the elevator, Carrie walks in an pushes the floor of Mr. Walden's as well. I'm actually glad we're not in university anymore. Even if we work together, I rarely see her. Oliver tells me that Carrie's always in the cafeteria working on her own. It explains perfectly why I see her rarely because I barely go in the cafeteria.

"Hey, Meg." I turn to face her. Her voice sounds off. It doesn't sound so Carrie at all.

Before she says anything, more employees walk in the elevator. She moved to the far left and me on the right. I take a glance at her and, if I'm not mistaken, she looks frightened. The metal doors open again.

Yvette, Mr. Walden's assistant, greets me with a smile. But it's not just me. Carrie's following behind me, struggling with the massive folders in her arms. I turn and take one of the folders from her. She smiles at me which is weird because normally, she looks like she'd eat my head off.

"Does this mean you've matured enough to forgive me?" she asks. I was taken back when she said 'forgive'. I push that thought back in my head for now.

"We're gonna have to talk about that one." I say in a whisper. Yvette's busied herself with her work enough to not notice us.

"Exactly. Can we meet after work?"

Would I be a good person if I agree? Would I be a snob if I brush her aside? If she's willing to be at peace, that means she's growing up. Downside, it might be another scheme and I've got alot on my plate already. I still have to face Louis tonight or sooner.

Yesterday he looked awfully upset with me. It's the other way around, supposedly. Hes the one who kept something like that from me, what's he got to be mad about?

Yvette grins as Carrie and I put down the folders. "How are you feeling, love?" she asks me.

"Not the best but better." I tell her with a smile. She scans the folders and gives Carrie an envelope. Carrie gives me a look before walking off.