Part 1: An Unexpected Betrayal

"Clary," A voice spoke breathless at her shoulder. She turned in surprise to see Sebastian. He was wearing gear and it looked right on him somehow, she thought. As if he were born to wear it. Where everyone else looked blood stained and disheveled, he was unmarked except for a double line of scratches that ran the length of his left cheek as if something had clawed at him with a taloned hand, "I was worried about you. I went by Amatis's house on the way here, but you weren't there, and she said she hadn't seen you."

"Well I'm fine," Clary glanced from Sebastian to Magnus, who was holding the Book of the White against his chest. Sebastian's angular eyebrows were raised, "Are you? Your face."

She reached up to touch his injuries. The scratches were still oozing a trace of blood. Sebastian shrugged, brushing her hand away gently, "A she-demon got me near the Penhallow's, I'm fine though. What's going on?"

"Nothing I was just talking to Ma—Ragnor," Clary said hastily, realizing with a sudden horror that Sebastian had no idea who Magnus actually was.

"Maragnor?" Sebastian arched his eyebrows, "Okay then." He glanced curiously at the Book of the White, Clary wished Magnus would put it away. The way he was holding it, it's gilded lettering was clearly visible, "What's that?"

Magnus studied him for a moment, his cat eyes considering, "A spell book," he said finally, "Nothing that would be of interest to a Shadowhunter."

"Actually, my aunt collects spell books. Can I see?" Sebastian held his hand out but before Magnus could refuse Clary heard someone call her name, and Jace and Alec descended on them, clearly none to pleased to see Sebastian with them.

"I thought I told you to stay with Max and Isabelle!" Alec snapped at him, "Did you leave them alone?"

Slowly Sebastian's eyes moved from Magnus to Alec, "Your parents came home, just like you said they would." His voice was cold, "They sent me ahead to tell you they were all right and so are Izzy and Max, they're on their way."

"Well," said Jace, his voice heavy with sarcasm, "Thanks for passing on that news the second you got here."

"I didn't see you the second I got here," said Sebastian, "I saw Clary."

"Because you were looking for her."

"Because I need to talk to her, alone." He caught Clary's eyes again, and the intensity in them gave her pause. She wanted to tell him not to look at her like that when Jace was there but that would sound unreasonable and crazy. And besides maybe he actually had something important to tell her, "Clary?"

She nodded, "All right, just for a second," she said and saw Jace's expression change. He didn't scowl but his face went very still, "I'll be right back," she added, but Jace didn't look at her, he was looking at Sebastian.

Sebastian took her by the wrist and drew her away from the others, pulling her toward the thickest part of the crowd. She glanced back over her shoulder. They were all watching her, even Magnus. She saw him shake his head once, very slightly.

She dug her heals in, "Sebastian, stop. What is it? What do you have to tell me?"

He turned to face her, still holding her wrist, "I thought we could go outside," he said, "talk in private?"

"No, I want to stay here," she said and heard her own voice waver slightly as if she weren't sure. And maybe she wasn't, stepping outside with Sebastian couldn't hurt, could it?

"Please," He said, "It's important."

Clary let out and exasperated breath, "Fine, but only for five minutes."