Part 11: When Everything Falls to Pieces

When Jace opened the door cautiously, it didn't take long to tell who it was. Shaggy dark hair and battered sweater made it obvious that only Alec Lightwood could be standing outside their door. Clary pushed herself from the wall she'd been holding onto and flew at him, wrapping him in a tight hug. Alec was very clearly surprised by this.

"A hug from Clary," he muttered, "that's a first."

Jace laughed, "Now I really believe that anything is possible. She tried to cook yesterday, and the pancakes were probably toxic and got to her head."

Clary walked back over to him painfully, trying her hardest not to limp in front of Alec, and slugged Jace in the arm, "If anything is making me crazy it's your obsessive amount of babying."

"We've been over this Fray, it's not babying."

Alec held up his hand, "Okay, gross. I didn't come here to see you guys flirt and make out."

Clary felt herself go red, "We were not—"

"Yes, you were. Now, this is actually very important and we're kind of on a time crunch, plus I have to get back and help Magnus—" Alec blew out a breath, rustling the hair that fell over his eyes, "Sorry, I'm just a little stressed out."

Jace seemed to tense at these words, as if nothing ever stressed Alec out, "What is it Alec?"

"Valentine came before the Clave today."

Clary tried to hide her flinch but Jace must've noticed because he grabbed her hand as a silent comfort, "How long ago?" Jace asked.

"Maybe hours. Jace, he asked the Clave to surrender, he wanted the Counsel to turn you two over to him in order to show their good will."

Jace scrunched his eyebrows in thought, "So he must know the Clave can't find us."

Alec nodded, "That's what Izzy said. But still, you guys should get out of here, Valentine still wants you two. He'll take you by force if he has to."

"I know," Clary muttered, hugging herself.

Alec sighed, "Clary I didn't mean—I'm sorry, I'm just trying to warn you guys. He undoubtedly knows who your father is Jace, he was the one who cut you from your mom, he'll know where to look for you."

Jace rubbed his hand down his face, "You're right. I'll get Clary out tonight and then come back tomorrow. I can help in the battle."

Clary jumped away from Jace, immediately feeling betrayed, "I will not leave you. Either you come with me or I'm staying."

"Clary, we don't have time to argue over this right now. I need to be with Alec when the fighting breaks out. I'm his Parabatai." He rested his hand lightly on her shoulder, but she shook it off.

"I know Jace, but I need to be with you. If I run away to somewhere only to be safe while you throw yourself into battle, I'll never be able to forgive myself if something happens to you," Clary shook with emotion, a little bit embarrassed to be spilling her guts out in front of Alec, "Do you know what it will do to me if you don't come out of that battle?"

Jace stared at her, silent.

"It'll do a whole damn lot to me if you leave me to endure this alone."

"Clary I—"

She held up a hand to him, already giving up before he said anything, "No, you know what, if it'll make you happy, I'll leave."

Jace pulled her in toward him, but Clary kept her arms folded in front of her, refusing to return his embrace. He planned to leave her. He didn't think he was going to come back from this, "Thank you Clary."