Part 6: Too Close For Comfort

Jace couldn't remember how he'd gotten back to the Lightwood manor, but now he was sitting on his bed, staring down at his hands. They should've been covered in blood, Clary's blood, but she hadn't actually been there. For all he knew, she wasn't hurt, she could be fine, but something deep in his gut told him that what he'd seen was true. Clary was hurt, badly, she might as well be bleeding out on a floor somewhere. No matter what Jace did, it only ever brought her harm, the one person in the entire world that he couldn't stand to be hurt. But Jace had to think of what Alec said, you can't help her if you just sit around blaming yourself.

Jace shot to his feet, putting out a hand to steady himself against the wall. His head spun from standing up to fast, but he knew he needed to get going. Now. Jace didn't stop to think or grab his gear, he just grabbed the handle and—

A portal opened in his ceiling.

And through it fell a bundle of red hair and blood. She crashed into his bed, unconscious and bleeding. Seriously bleeding. Jace could only stand there, staring. It had only been hours and Clary's body had already been wiped clean of her other injuries but something on her back that was causing her to lose a lot of blood.

"No," he whispered. This was Valentine, this was Jace's ultimate punishment. And now he was leaving it on his doorstep, rubbing it in his face. Jace staggered over to his bed, falling to his knees beside her. He pressed his fingers to her throat, hope still alight in his chest. When he felt the low heartbeat under his fingers, he almost yelled in excitement, but the throb was so weak. She was barely holding on, but she was strong. His Clary was so strong. He jumped onto the bed next to her, turning her over to see her injuries. Jace almost emptied his stomach right there on his bed. Her back was a bloody mess, her light shift hanging off her in strips. Then Jace realized it wasn't her clothing that was in strips, it was her skin.

After that, Jace really did hurl onto the floor. He swiped at his mouth then gathered Clary into his arms. She was so cold, her body bathed in her own blood. The pain she must have experienced broke his heart for the tenth time in the same day. Jace hadn't known he had so many hearts to break. He could care less that her blood was spilling all over him, it was that very fact that scared him out of his mind. But it didn't stop the relief that flooded through him. She was back, she was in his arms again, but she was dying.

"Alec!" He yelled, every part of him screamed at him to do something. He fumbled for the stele on his bedside table, pressing it to the skin of her neck and drawing an iratze. It didn't work, "Alec!" He yelled again.

His Parabatai burst through the door, urgency in his eyes. He sucked in a breath when he saw Clary, bleeding out on his bed, "Get Magnus, tell him to meet us at the Basilias as soon as he can." Jace could barely get the words out, worry clogging his throat. Alec didn't waste any time, he had his phone in his hand and was out the door before Jace had even gotten off the bed. He scooped Clary into his arms, careful to avoid the wounds on her back, and rushed to the door. Jace pressed her body tightly against his, trying to avoid jostling her too much, fearing he might cause her more pain than he already had. He pushed himself to go faster, knowing that every minute drew Clary closer to death. Her blood ran down his hands and arms, staining them red. She should not have been bleeding for so long, but it was a back wound so naturally it would be more blood than any other injury. But this much? Jace pushed himself harder and harder until he was basically flying across the gravel and up the steps to the Basilias. He reached for the handle on the door, ready to rip it open, when a figure appeared between him and the door.

Aldertree.

"Ah," he said, eyeing Clary, "I see she's back."

"Out. Of. My. Way." Jace snarled, his grip tightening on the small girl in his arms.