Chapter 22

Goodbyes are always hard. There nowhere near as hard as Hello's because you know at some point you will have to say goodbye or see you later.

Hope had her fair share of goodbyes. She'd had to say goodbye to her mother, father, and uncle and now she might have to say goodbye to Landon.

Hope knew not telling him about his mother might ruin their relationship but she hadn't expected him to leave.

On the other hand with relationships there was Josie, who was also quite mad at her. But in all fairness Hope was quite mad with herself too. She'd stolen the spotlight from Josie all because she thought that's what she had wanted.

Things weren't so black and white anymore. Hope had been wearing a dress. The dress that her father had given to the love of his life. The woman that Hope had saw paintings of even when she was little.

Hope hadn't thought about how much they seemed to look like her headmaster until now. Had her father picked the dress out just for Mrs. Caroline? How come Josie and Lizzie's mother had given them the dress? Had it meant so little to her that she didn't want it anymore?

Hope's head was swirling and she couldn't find it in herself to care about where Landon was going. Why was everyone always so mad that she was protecting them. They needed her protection

Somehow Landon thought that just because he was a phoenix Hope would stop protecting him. That she would stop fearing a death which he wouldn't wake from.

Even Josie seemed to think that she was expendable and indestructible. That somehow some way Hope couldn't hurt her, and that just wasn't true.

Any time Hope caught a scent of Josie now all she could think about was the blood that was coursing through that younger witches veins. The very thought of Josie now made Hope smell jasmine and honey.

What also didn't help was that Sean was nowhere to be found and his supposed week that Josie and Hope had left had passed.

The week was over and nothing had happened. Nothing.

The only thing that had changed was Hope's uncontrollable temper and night terrors. And Landon's uncalled-for jealousy that was considerably pushing her buttons.

Something had changed that night that Hope had bitten Josie, it was a small and barely noticeable change but Hope had definitely noticed. Her gums were aching. It wasn't a bad ache but one that Hope remembered having when her canines finally came out.

And that definitely wasn't a good sign.

Things were slowly but surely happening just like her Aunt Freya had said they would. The craving  for Josie's blood had started to get worse and Josie  had already bitten her..... Heck she hadn't bitten her she had mauled Hope's neck and even after a week it was still sore.

Hope somehow knew that Sean had to be telling the truth, the earnest look in his eyes had told it all. He was scared for her.....for them.

Somehow he knew what was going to happen but he said more than he was supposed to. Suddenly Hope wondered if Sean was ok.

She'd had enough people get hurt in order to save or warn her and she didn't need anymore.

Hope's attempts as resting were very much useless. She couldn't sleep. She couldn't focus on anything let alone sleeping.

Her soft bedsheets and pillows under her body doing nothing for her relaxation. Hope had tossed and turned for probably more than an hour and she was still very much awake.

Hope breathed out a sigh. She was going to take a much needed walk through the woods, hopefully that would clear her head.

When Hope got to her clearing in the woods she stripped herself of her clothes and shifted.

Hope's shifting made her feel at peace, it always made her feel calm so she decided to give it a shot. What was the worst that could happen?

Hope's wolf laid on the ground, it's muzzle hidden by the position of it's  paws. As she tried to catch a nap in this form instead, hoping that it would make her fall asleep.

Hope was just getting comfortable when she heard a the crunching of grass. A growl sounded in Hope's throat as she sniffed in the direction of danger, hoping that it was someone from the boarding school.

The familiar scent of jasmine and honey surrounding Hope's senses and drowned her. Oh it was definitely Someone from the boarding school alright.  Someone in the sky was definitely trying to tempt her and she didn't like it.

Hope settled back on her paws and looked at Josie with slight interest as she made herself apparent. Josie didn't smile at all before sitting down, her back facing a tree as she looked everywhere but at the white wolf. Josie didn't seem to be interested in Hope in the slightest and seemed quite upset with her.

The wolf's piercing blue eyes made Josie nervous as she tried to avoid her gaze. The wolf made her way over to Josie, her paws crunching the grass under her feet.

Josie breathed out a heavy sigh, one that Hope could tell was of pure stress. " Just leave me alone Hope. Nobody said that just because we're beside each other that we have to talk. "

That made the wolf whimper and stop all movements that could get her closer to the brunette. Hope was surprised that she wasn't mauling Josie like she had tried to do with Landon when he'd come to the woods while she was wolfed out.

Josie ignored the wolf's whining and looked up at the stars hoping to escape her mess of a life. She still hadn't read the journal Penelope had given her and she didn't know when she would, or if she ever would.

For now Josie just wanted to look at the stars and not think. And Hope was perfectly fine with just that.

So there they sat for the whole night in complete and utter silence.

Authors note: does anyone kind of ship Raf with Jed now? Idk why but I kinda got a cute vibe but maybe I'm just crazy