Chapter Eight

~Calum's Pov~

"What the fuck Luke?" I furrow my eyebrows, giving him a nasty look. Who does he think he is? He's got a boyfriend and yet he's messing around with me. This asshole is messed up.

I sit down to calm myself down, my back against a pillar in the enclosed area. It was dark, the source of light only from the hole I had fell from, and yet it's so dim due to the setting sun. The area is dead silent, except for the intermittent creaks and booms that echoed through the hollow environment. Part of me is thankful for Luke's company, I'd probably start freaking out if he weren't here frankly.

He sits next to me with a slight smile on his lips, completely ignoring my statement. I face to the right so I don't have to look at him, partly because I don't want to be distracted by his charismatic looks.

"You have a boyfriend and yet you're flirting with me. You're so screwed up." I say with a sturdy voice, fury evident in my tone. I have to make it clear that I want nothing to do with him.

"What makes you think I have a boyfriend?" He replies with a raspy voice.

What makes me think you have a boyfriend? Seriously?

"Well, your lips are practically on Michael's whenever I see the two of you."

"He's not my boyfriend. He's just...there." His voice wavers slightly, cracking at the end of his statement.

"What do you mean just there? He's like...your fuck buddy?" I ask in a disgusted tone.

"No! H-he's ju-just my...I don't know. Why do you care so much, huh? You barely know me." He retorts with a raised voice, catching me off guard. I had no intentions of hurting him. Maybe I was too harsh.

"Sorry..." My voice trails off as I twiddle my fingers, my face still not facing him.

Silence takes over us again. I shift in my as I gaze up the tiny opening of the roof. Why hasn't anyone else fallen through it as well? Maybe they're all too scared. I should've pulled Ashton down with me so I wouldn't have to deal with the awkward tension right now.

"What's your name?" He asks politely, interrupting my train of thought.

I part my lips slightly, but seal them again. Why should I tell him my name? I'm just getting myself into trouble. I should've listened to Tori and avoided this boy from the start.

"Think about it. You don't get to choose another name again." He says.

I shouldn't tell him my actual name. 'Calum' doesn't sound very dauntless. I can be remade here. A new place, a new name.

I turn my head to face him for the first time throughout the entire conversation. "Call me Cal."

"Cal? That sounds familiar." He purses his lips, furrowing his eyebrows at the same time. His pristine blue eyes burn into mine.

The feeling strikes me again. The feeling I constantly felt whenever his eyes meet mine. It's the feeling you get whenever you recall a painful memory, but yet you miss it and you wish you could relive every moment before it. It's a bittersweet feeling that's been driving me insane the past two days. No boy has ever affected me the way he has, but I'm unable to fathom why.

His eyes doesn't seem to avert from mine, as if he's in a deep trance. Perhaps he's experiencing the same feelings. My heart begins to pound rapidly as I feel my cheeks flare up. His stare is mesmerizing to say the least. Me blushing seems to be inevitable whenever I'm with him.

"So, Cal. You were from Abnegation eh?" He stares at my clothing and nudges me on the shoulder. I groan in pain.

His eyes widens in astonishment. Before I could resist anything, he leans in to pull my sleeves up to reveal my burning flesh. The gash is deeper than I had expected it to be. There's dried blood stains splattered all around it due to my sleeves.

"What the hell. Why didn't you tell me?" He doesn't hesitate to lift me up with one hand on my back and the other on my calves. I try to push him away, but his solid hold of me prevents me from doing so.

"Put me down." I protest as I begin to wiggle in his arms in attempt to escape his grasp.

He doesn't say anything but pulls my head to his chest, disallowing me to see where we were heading to. As much as I didn't want to, I feel comfortable in his arms. I feel a sense of belonging - something that's been missing for a very long time. I instinctively lace my arms around his back. I don't know why I'm doing this, but it just feels so right. It feels so...familiar.

Minutes later, I hear flickering lights as Luke's footsteps begin to slow down. He gently sets me on a wooden stool and releases me. He rummages through a box beside us on a worn out table and pulls out what seems like an antiseptic cream and a bandaid.

"Hold still." He whispers softly as he squeezes out a generous amount of cream onto his fingers.

"Luke, it's fine I'll do it mysel-"

"Shut up." He says, gently rubbing the cream on my gash. I hiss at the sharp, stinging pain that seems to only spread throughout my body. In a fit of desperation and agony, I grip Luke's hands tightly as I shut my eyes. I squeezed his hand tighter in attempt to even out the pain, but to no avail.

In the midst of the agonizing process, I feel his fingers slip in between mine.

And I no longer feel the pain.