Chapter Five

(A/N)

Hey guys! So this chapter will include a bit of self harm due to the procedure of the Choosing Ceremony. It's not much so don't worry! Shit's about to get serious soon! Hope you guys are enjoying the story.

--------------------------------

Why would he date that douche of all people. At least i think he's a douche - I've never been told to fuck off before. I mean, I'm always helping others because of my faction. You wouldn't recieve a "fuck off" from someone for helping them.

"Hi, you must be Calum Hood." I looked to the left to see a lady in a blue tailored blouse with a blue blazer wrapped around her. She had lip gloss on her snaggletooth again, making me choke slightly at the sight of it. Someone seriously needs to fix that before I pull her teeth out.

I nodded, standing up from my seat and shook her hand.

"Good morning Jeanine." My father said as he gently pushed me away from the lady and took a step infront.

"David Hood. Its been a long time since we've last spoken. How's Andrew holding up" She grinned at her choice of words.

"As well as can be expected. It's none of your business Jeanine."

"I think we need to find out who's been spreading these rumors." She said blatantly, smirking as she glared into my eyes, causing me to flinch as I tightened my grip on my mother's arm. This bitch clearly knew who's responsible for it. She'll find the person just by looking into the mirror. Oh wait, she doesn't even have a mirror to see that she has fucking lipgloss on her teeth.

My mother scoffed. Her lips were pursed together as i felt her wrist tighten. "I think we all know who's responsible for it my dear." My mother retorted as her face was clearly contorted with fury.

"If it's someone from Erudite, i promise i'll find out who's responsible." Jeanine gave a maniacal smile as she brushed her hair with her fingers and strutted towards the centre of the room. I placed an arm around my mother to calm her down as we sat back down on our seats. Gazing at my surroundings, i see five metal bowls in the middle of the room. They were large enough to hold my entire body, if i curled up.

"Welcome," Andrew says as he walks to the middle of the room with Jeanine. The room becomes silent as the leaders of Abnegation and Erudite begin their speech. "Welcome to the Choosing Ceremony, the day we honor the democratic philosophy of our dear ancestors, which tells us that everyone has the freedom of choosing his or her own way in this world." I squeezed my mother's fingers as hard as she squeezes mine.

"Our dependents are now sixteen. They stand on the precipice of adulthood, and today they themselves will decide the remainig path of their lives. Thank you fellow friends and relatives of your initiate for joining us in this occassion." Andrew says as he paces around the five metal bowls in the centre.

Jeanine clears her throat, gaining everyone's attention. "Now. When Andrew calls your name, please make your way to the centre. He will hand you a knife which you must use it to cut your hand and sprinkle your blood into the bowl of the faction of your choice. Its a simple procedure and I will not tolerate any mishaps."

Jeanine walks behind the five metal bowls that contained substances that represents each faction: gray stones for Abnegation, earth for Amity, water for Erudite, glass for Candor, and lit coals for Dauntless.

Andrew clenches his right fist into a tight ball and places it on his chest. slightly tilted to the left. "Faction before blood." He says before pulling out a list of names from his pocket. I think of the motto in my head as he begins to read out names. I had time to think. Intiates from Abngeation were the last people to be called for. I've seen and read that motto in my Faction History book many a time: Faction before blood. More than family, our factions are where we belong.

Can that possibly be right?

"Harry Hood." Andrew announces as everyone's eyes are fixed on Harry. Harry squeezes my hand and walks towards the centre of the room. He casts a long look at me over his shoulder. I gave him a reassuring smile as he accepts the knife from Andew. He sinks the knife into the palm of his hand with no hesitation as I held my breath. He stands still with blood pooling in his hand, examining each metal bowl inches away from him. He holds his hand over the Erudite bowl as the blood drips in to the water, dissolving it upon contact as it becomes slightly red.

"Erudite." Andrew announces.

I hear gasps and mutters among our faction. Our faction, normally so placid and peaceful, speak to one another in strained whispers and murmurs. I can barely think straight at this point.

Of all people, my selfless and kind brother, is a faction transfer. Born Abnegation, now Erudite? I looked around my faction, observing everyone's glare that direct towards the faction that has become our enemy. In fact, they've always been our enemy.

"Silence please." Andrew shouts. The rooms goes silent except for the chattering of my teeth due to my growing anxiety. My mother places her hand on my shoulder, rubbing it gently. She uses her other hand to maneuver my face to face her's.

"I love you, no matter what happens." she says while rubbing my back in circular motions.

"Calum Hood." Andrew says.

I stood up from my seat, gingerly making my way to the centre of the room. Whispers suddenly break out like hissing fires all over the room. I can see it now. I have to choose Abnegation. I close my eyes and watch myself grow into a man with loving parents by his side. I'm just lacking a blonde boy with a lip ring as his partner. I looked back, seeing the room full of people craning their necks to get a good look at me. The son of David Hood. The sibling of a faction transfer.

Halfway to the bowls, I look at Harry, who now sits with the Erudite. He smiles at me and nods, like he knows what I'm thinking, and that he agrees with my thoughts.

It's unfair. If Harry, the most selfless person I know, isn't fit for Abnegation, how can I be? I have no choice, however. I have to stay for my parents. I should be a good child and stay with my parents. I have to, don't I?

Andrew offers me the sterilized knife, which I hesitatnly took from his hands. I hold it in my right hand and touch the blade on my palm of my left hand. I gritted my teeth, sinking the blade into my palm ever so often to deepen the cut. Blood and mixed memories from the past begin to seep out from my palm. Memories of my family begin to flash through my mind as I close my eyes. I couldn't tell if the pain was excruciating. I wasn't focused on the the pain from my palm, but from the pain I felt in my throbbing mind.

I open my eyes, seeing that there is this shocking red on my palm. It was the brightest thing of the day, so vibrant and bright that it buzzes. I thrust my arm out as the blood begins to drip on the floor due to my slow movements. With a gulp I can't contain, I shift my hand forward forcefully. My blood drips and sizzles on the bowl with lit coals.

"Dauntless!" Andrew yells.

I am selfish, but brave. Sorry mum and dad.