Chapter Three

"What? That's impossible." I replied anxiously.

"It is not impossible, Calum. You're divergent, and there are only a handful out there. But as far the world knows, the test concluded that you're an Abnegation because that's what I keyed into the system. Under no circumstances should you share this information with anyone, not even your parents. Divergence is extremely dangerous. The government will hunt you down if they find out. Understand?"

I don't understand. How could inconclusive results be dangerous? I still nod however.

"Alright. Let's get you out of here before a supervisor comes. Tell your parents that the syrup made you queasy, so I sent you home early. Tomorrow at the Choosing Ceremony, I highly suggest you pick Abnegation. You'll be much safer with your parents." I stared blankly at her, there was so much to take in.

I looked down at the floor and walked out of the room without turning back. But before I could close the door. I felt a hand tap my shoulder.

"That boy in your hallucination. How do you know him?"

"I...I mean, he helped me up when I was pushed down earlier." I managed to speak out.

She sighed and rubbed her temples with her fingers.

"Promise me you'll stay away from him, he's trouble."

I didn't dare to look her in the eyes. If I did, she would know that I wouldn't keep her promise. I can't bear to think about why she said that. I can't bear to think about the Choosing Ceremony tomorrow.

I nodded hesitantly and walked out from the back door.

"Abnegation. Erudite. Dauntless. Divergent." I muttered under my breath as I walked out of the building. Why is this so darn complicated.

I decide to take the bus home. All I want to do is to lie down on my pillow and dream about that blonde haired boy. God he's so hot. And that million dollar smile of his, it always manages to make my heart race. I should have just kissed him during my hallucination. I don't care if Tori would have witnessed it.

As I crept into my bedroom, I try my best to make minimal sounds to avoid alerting my parents of my presence.

"Calum? Why are you home so early?" My mother questioned as she walked into my bedroom.

Dang it.

"The syrup made me sick, so I was told to go home early." I managed to fake a cough afterwards which made my mother pat my back.

"Lunch is ready. Food will make you feel better. You must be starving." She smiles and helped me up from my bed.

❄️❄️❄️

I stayed silent throughout the entire meal. I used my fork and played with the peas on the plate. The spread wasn't large, just a bowl of baked beans, a scoop of peas and a tiny portion of steam fish. As Abnegations, we were quite fortunate. Most families in the Abnegation faction lived in a one room apartment while we had three rooms. Our income was relatively high as Abnegation. Jobs for Abnegations didn't pay much, usually just enough for one to survive. But mum and dad are ranked highly in the faction. Their contribution to the faction paid off. They were co-leaders of the faction.

I had no appetite and simply dropped my fork on my plate. I was surprised that they hadn't asked me how my test went, not that I wanted them to. I wouldn't know how to respond. If I told them my aptitude was Abnegation, they'd probably expect me to choose it tomorrow. But for some reason, I really didn't want to be in Abnegation. I wanted to know more about that boy, even if he was trouble like Tori had mentioned.

The way he stared at me. That smile he produced in our encounter and in my hallucination. It was so dam familiar. You know that feeling you get when you know you forgot something but you can't seem to pinpoint what it is? Yeah, that's basically the story of my life right now.

"Calum, you have to be careful." My mother spoke, breaking the silence.

I looked up to see both of my parents staring at me worriedly.

"Why what's wrong?" I replied nonchalantly.

My mum looked to her right, giving my dad a nod before looking back at me.

"They're doing everything they can to discredit us right now." My mother's voice was slightly shaky, signaling how she was struggling to spew out her words.

"Wait, who is?" I asked curiously.

"Erudite. They believe they should be the governing faction, not us. So you have to be careful right now, okay? Even Andrew is under attack." Andrew is my dad's co worker. They were both high up in the faction.

"For what?" I questioned while scratching the back of my neck, completely losing my appetite at this point.

"Andrew had his son taken away from him by Erudite two years ago as he had supposedly broke so many of the faction laws. Andrew was accused of mistreating his son, that his violence and cruelty towards his son was unacceptable. But it was completely false. Don't you remember what happened to yo-" my mum stopped speaking halfway after receiving a nudge from my dad.

I cleared my throat in attempt to break the awkward tension. "So...what happened to his son?"

"He's in Dauntless. He did an aptitude test at the age of 14, two years younger than the legal age."

Our conversation was interrupted by opening of the door. Harry stepped inside the house and sat beside me, flashing a slight smile before greeting my parents.

--------------------------------------------

(A/N)

Hiiii sorry for the short chapter! Been busy with school work lately. Hope you guys are enjoying the story. I'll try my best to give you guys faster updates!