Chapter One

"Calum! Are you alright?" Harry screams as he sprints towards my direction.

"Yeah I'm fine."

No, I was not fine. My mind was engulfed by the blonde-haired boy. His piercing blue eyes were embedded into my mind. They were oddly familiar.

I shut my eyes in attempt to concentrate myself. Those eyes, they were so distinct and alluring. I could've sworn I've seen those pair of eyes before. The way he looked into my eyes. The way he smiled. The recollection of this boy triggered a spark in my mind causing a sharp pain in my head, like a painful memory from the past.

I shook my head, getting rid of all my thoughts. My hands were trembling as trepidation rushed through my veins. So many parts of my head hurt; it didn't seem worth while taking inventory of them.

"Calum!" Harry yelled just an arm - length away from me.

"What?" I replied, feeling annoyed by his sudden outburst. The pain in my head throbs and pulses my skull. The last thing i needed right now was Harry yelling at me.

"Everyone's entered the hall already! We're gonna be late for the briefing if we don't make a move."

Without warning, Harry grabs my forearm and races to the entrance. We rushed to the lecture hall where the briefing of the test was held. We snuck into the seats where the other Abnegation members were. They were too engrossed with the briefing to acknowledge our presence.

I turned my head to face the front to see a blonde haired woman. She seriously needed to pluck her eye brows. She had some 99 cent lip gloss on her snaggletooth. Coming from someone who looks at a mirror once every two months, I'm pretty sure she needed some advice on the way she did her make up. She had a blue tailored blouse matched with a royal blue blazer. Just like what an Erudite would wear. Sophisticated and presentable. Though I did have some trouble trying not to laugh as her lip stick began to stain her two front teeth as she spoke.

"My name is Jeanine Mathews. Today, every one of you will take a test to find out which faction is most suitable to your character. You will consume a small glass of syrup which will cause you to hallucinate. Your hallucinations will be observed through a monitor and results will be confirmed by the test administers. Test administers are volunteers of another faction to prevent any form of biasedness"

"You will choose from five factions as all of you may know. Our founders split the people into five factions to maintain peace after the war."

"There is Erudite, the ones who value knowledge and wisdom. Formed by those who blamed human ignorance for the faults of society. Erudite produces the country's librarians, doctors, scientists and teachers."

"Amity. Formed to maintain a peaceful society free from conflict and sadness caused by wars and instigation. They contribute to society through the growing of crops to feed the country."

"Candor. Members of Candor value honesty and say whatever is the truth. Even when it gets themselves into trouble. They are the city's lawyers and believe that truth is black and white"

"Abnegation. Members believe in selfless actions and attaining peace through the elimination of selflessness. As an Abnegation, members will focus in serving others instead of themselves. Essentially, leaders of the country are hand-picked from Abnegation due to their desire to put others before themselves."

"Lastly, there's Dauntless." She stared at the members from Dauntless before rolling her eyes. "Members of dauntless value the virtue of bravery over any other. They take charge of the city's security and protect it's inhabitants from threats within and without as the country's peacekeepers."

Out of the blue, the Dauntless members begin to cheer in excitement to portray their pride. I giggled at the sight. Their enthusiasm never ceases to amaze me.

"Will you quieten down?" Jeanine bellows. The room gradually became silent again.

Why did she always lose her shit when it came to Dauntless? She must have some deep hatred for them.

"Alright, it's time."

❄️❄️❄️

I stood in front of a brown door with a label that read "Test Room 394" . I turned my head to the left to face Harry. He was standing in front of a door too. I peered past his shoulder to see eight other teenagers from other other factions. Every single teenager had their own test rooms.

Harry seemed so calm and collected. It was one of the many things I admired about him. He was confident and relatively good looking, even when wearing shabby clothes that Abnegations had to wear. If he wasn't in Abnegation, I'm sure girls would be throwing themselves at him. He turned to me and gave me a reassuring smile as the doors to the test room opened automatically. I gave Harry a final glance before stepping into the test room.

I gingerly placed my foot into the room as I scanned my surroundings. It was illuminated by dull orange lights that reflected off the mirrors covering every inch of the room. A woman with jet black hair was sitting on a stool, typing away on her laptop. She had a tattoo of a flame surrounded by a ring on her shoulder - the symbol for Dauntless. She was wearing black skinny jeans, accompanied by a plain black tank top that was wrapped around by a black leather jacket. It was the dress code for members of Dauntless. The sudden bang of the closing door made me jump a little.

I looked to the left to see my own reflection through the mirror. Instinctively, I turned my head to avoid looking at myself.

"What is with you Abnegations and mirrors?" The lady looked at me with furrowed eyebrows.

"We reject vanity."

"Yeah I know, just sit down."

I walked towards the dental chair that had a metal clamp connected to the head rest and sat on it as she placed an electrode on my temple that connected to the electrode on her own temple. She pushed the clamp slowly to fit the size of my head which reduced my movement to a minimum.

"Im Tori. I'll be administering your test. You'll be offered a series of choices to test your aptitude for each faction until you get one result."

She began to pour a blue syrup into a tiny glass.

"I wouldn't sweat it. 95 percent get the faction of their origin and well, by the looks of you..." She trailed off. She handed me the tiny glass of syrup. It was translucent, like a blue aqueous solution. I brought it near my nostrils and took a sniff. It had a pungent smell that made me grimace immediately.

'Is this safe?" i asked nervously.

"Bottoms up." Tori replied coldly.

I took a final sniff before gulping down the syrup. It left a burning sensation in my tongue that left my taste buds stinging. But before I could even comment on it, everything turned pitch black.