Chapter Two

I woke up to be greeted by a severe headache. It was not a sharp pain like a knife-inflicted wound, but more of a dull pounding with a hammer over and over again. The continuous pounding in my head seemd to be synchronizing with my heart beats. I squinted at the sight of orange lights. I was still in the room, lying on the dental chair.

"Tori?" My voice echoed as i scanned my surroundings. She was no where to be seen.

I lifted my feet up to the side of the seat and cautiously stood up. Looking around, i found myself trapped in the same exact room. The mirrors were lined carefully next to each other with no gaps in between. I spun my head around and saw two object lying on the floor: A peace necklace and a knife.

I stood there dumbfounded. I contined to gaze at the inanimate objects as I scratched my head. The only thought I could form was why on earth were there two random objects lying on the floor. But before I could do anything, they vanished.

I looked up from the floor only to find myself standing next to a man. Instinctively, i backed away from the man as I examined his appearance. His black eyes darted into mine with a slight grin on his face. He approached me slowly as he lifted up his right arm. He opened up his hand, revealing a gun. He pulled my hand out with great force and placed the gun in my hand. I resistsed, but to no avail.

"Choose one in the room" He said, pointing to his right before vanishing into thin air.

I looked towards the direction he pointed, finding two people kneeling on the floor with their hands tied to their backs . They were clearly immobile and their hands were turning pale due to the immense pressure caused by the ropes around their hands. Their eyes were fixed onto me with great desperation as tears welled up their eyes.

I squinted, narrowing my sight at one of them. Those captivating baby blue eyes. That perfect lip ring. That perfectly styled blonde quiff. I dropped the gun and ran towards the boy. i caressed his cheeks, using my thumb to wipe his tears away. He smiled at me, just like how he did previously. All I wanted to do was to kiss his pain away.

Wait. Who was beside him?

I maneuvered my head slightly to the right.

"Mum?" I cried helplessly. She smiled half-heartedly, conveying a sense of deep melancholy. Her gaze was fixed upon the gun i dropped.

"Honey, you have to pick one." She stuttered, as a tear rolled down her cheeks.

Anxiety curled into my stomach, hand crawling up my throat and choking me, letting the words i wanted to spew out be dragged down again. I picked up the gun as i shut my eyes tightly.

How could I do this? Was this necessary? Why do i even have to do it?

I was told to choose one. Just one. I rose the gun up with both hands on the trigger. I spun the gun around in my hands and gently bent my arms. I felt the gun hole tap my forehead as i opened my eyes slowly.

The man said to choose someone in the room, not just them.

"Calum, don't!" The boy and my mum screamed at the same time.

I mouthed the words "I love you" and pressed the trigger gently.

--------------------------------------------

I woke up to sweaty palms and a droplets of perspiration all over my forehead. I was lying on the dental chair full of mirrors in the room. Again.

"Get up." Tori whispered urgently.

I got up as she pinched her lips while removing the electrodes from out foreheads. I wait for her to say something about the test - that it was over, or that i did well. I mean, how could you do poorly for a test like this. How could you fail a test that you aren't allowed to prepare for?

She was silent, typing away on her laptop with a worried look on her face. I bring my knees up to my face and bury it in them. Why isn't she saying anything? What if I wasnt suitable for any faction. I'd be factionless and live on the streets with the other factionless. To live factionless would mean you were ostracized for the rest of your life. You would spend your entire life in sheer discomfort. Without a faction, you have no purpose in life. You were as good as gone.

"Sorry, Calum." Tori says as she stands beside me with her hands in her pockets of her skinny jeans. I looked at her which caused her to tense up and flinch. Her face was pale.

"Your results were inconclusive." Tori says.

"The test has a general procedure in which each stage of the stimulation elimates a faction. Unfortunately in your case, you only eliminated one." I stared at her with worry.

"One?" i asked anxiously.

"If you automatically showed distaste at the sight of the knife and chose the peace necklace, the stimulation would have confirmed your apitude for Amity. That did not happen, and you stood there without doing anything. Thus Amity is definitely out."

Tori took a sip of water and continued.

"This is when the problem starts. When you were told to choose one to kill with the gun given to you by the man, you showed sympathy to both your mother and the boy. Your affection to them clearly showed a form of selflessness. The test would have confirmed your apitude for Abnegation. Normally, the simulation would progress in a linear and proper fashion. But your actions had caused it to continue."

"If you had killed either the boy or mother, the test would have confirmed your apitude for Dauntless. But you chose to analyse the situation and kill youself. Your intelligent analysis of the situation indicated strong alignment with the Erudite. At the same time, the act of killing yourself portrayed bravery and courage. Your choices didn't even allow Candor. I had no choice but to put the simulation to a stop to prevent any suspicions from the supervisors. "

I stared at her curiously. "Wait, so do you have any idea what my apititude is?"

Tori pours a glass of water and hands it to me, which i gulped down within seconds.

"You displayed equal aptitude for Dauntless, Abnegation and Erudite. People with inconclusive results like you are called..." She peers behind a shoulder, ensuring no one was nearby. She sighs and places a hand on my shoulder. "They call it Divergent."

----------------------------------------------

(A/N)

Hey lovelies! Sorry if there isn't much cake action inside so far. I promise that future chapters will have a ton more! Hope you guys are enjoying the story so far! Please comment and vote. I would really appreciate it :)