Prologue

"Are you nervous?" my mum asked while snipping my hair off.

"Yes." I replied coldly. I stare into the mirror, observing my own eyes. It was the only mirror we had in the house. Our faction, Abnegation, allows me to stand in front of a mirror of every fifth day every two months, the day that my mother cuts my hair. We value selflessnes and help the factionless. My mum pulls out a container of hair gel. It was only occassions like these where looks were partially prioritized. We wouldn't want members of other factions grimacing at me.

I sit on the stool as she dips her fingers into the gel. I take the opportunity to sneak look at myself through the mirror. A person's appearance can change a lot in two months. Looking at the mirror, i see plumps lips with rather puffy cheeks and brown eyes - I still look like a little boy, though i turned sixteen a few months ago.

I've heard other factions celebrating the day they were born into this world. What was it called again? A birthday? Our faction doesn't allow it, it would be too self-indulgent as my mother would often say. "There, you look great." she says, as she made some final adjustments to my now-quiffed hair. Her eyes meet mine through the mirror. Instead of scolding me for examining myself, she just smiles as she observes our reflection.

"I can tell you're nervous. Don't be honey, everything will go fine in the test" Was it wrong that I was nervous? The aptitude test is held today, where the answers to which faction I belong to will be revealed. Tomorrow is the choosing ceremony, where teenagers will choose to stay with their faction, or abandon their families.

I stood up and planted a kiss on my mother's cheek. "Thank you for cutting my hair mum. It looks great." She smiles and motions me to take breakfast with her.

Moments after breakfast, my brother, Harry, and I entered the bus which would bring us to the hall where the test would be held at. School was cancelled today since events like these were designated solely to the test.

We stopped in front of the building and lined up with our factions to the entrance of the hall. Just like the buildings around it, it was made of glass and steel, with a hint of platnium in the corners of it. Leaders of each faction were stood in front of the entrance. The leader of dauntless was missing though. In fact, the entire dauntless faction was missing. Where were they?

As if on cue, the Dauntless members begin to sprint to the hall. Some were jumping from large sculptures, tumbling when they reach the ground. I've always admired their bravery and courage. A smile appeared on my face as I watched the dauntless members dash to the entrance.

I saw it coming, but it caught me off guard. I felt an elbow make contact with my stomach, watching it smash my entrails together like a rogue freight train. I fell to the ground, face first. Oddly enough, i felt footsteps travelling over my body. Clearly the dauntless were too blind to see that they've knocked me down. You'd think someone from my faction would have the sense to help me up. What happened to helping others?

"Are you okay?" a deep unfamiliar voice filled the atmosphere. Was it my brother? Had the impact cause my hearing to falter? I looked up from the ground, only to see an unfamiliar tall dark silhouette. He reached out his hand for me to take- which i did. As i squinted my eyes, I see a boy with blonde hair that was in a quiff, matched with baby blue eyes inches away from me. He had a black lip piercing that curled around the bottom of his lips perfectly.

He cupped my cheeks and used his free hand to swipe the trail of blood off my face. I was infautuated by not only his looks, but by his kindness too. It's not something one would expect from a dauntless. Our eyes met, and he gave a sympathetic smile before darting away to meet the rest of his faction.

Who is this boy?

----------------------------------------------

(A/N)

I hope that wasn't too bad for a prologue! Sorry if it's short, I just felt bored so I decided to give you guys an idea of how the story is like. I definitely made the story different from the original :) what do you think? Should I continue with the story? I wouldn't want to continue it if it didn't meet expectations :/

If you have ideas please don't hesitate to inbox me!