Chapter Seven

~Calum's Pov~

The girl brings her knees to her face and begins to sob uncontrollably.

"He was my brother." Is all she manages to cry out.

I let go of her and leave the scene. I can't watch her any longer, if not I'd end up crying myself. The last thing I want to do is cry in front of these people.

"Listen up!" a deep voice fills the atmosphere. I turn my head to see Michael standing on the other end of the roof with his blonde boyfriend. Oh lord, not these assholes. We all huddled around the two, leaving the girl to sob on the edge of the roof.

"If you're going to cry, please do us all a favor and jump off the roof. You sound like a dying whale." Michael yells across the roof as he crosses his arms, tapping his foot in an odd rhythm.

We turned around, to see the girl frowning, tears welling up her eyes as she stands up from her feeble state. Gasping, she turns around and launches her body off the roof.

There was a moment of silence before a loud thud emitted from the bottom of the building. I wasn't sad. I was furious. Furious at this heartless fucker. My calm demeanour that I had forced myself to posses slowly turned, and my face contorted in an all. I clenched my fist, ready to give this bitch a taste of his own medicine, but a solid grip on my shoulder prevented me from doing so.

"Don't." is all Ashton says before he lets go of me.

That's when I realised: This is how things will work from now on. People will die. If someone dies, we move on.

"My name's Michael and this is Luke." Michael grabs the blonde boy's hand and intertwines their fingers. So...asshole number two is called Luke. Such a pity. Luke's a hot name.

"I'm one of the leaders in dauntless, thus whatever I say, goes. Oddly enough, you guys will be jumping off as well, and that's an order."

Everyone's eyes widen, gripping their pants tightly upon hearing the ridiculous command. The silence was broken as people began to protest in unison. It was outrageous.

"Not off the roof you dumbasses, but off the ledge here." Michael points down the ledge behind him. Every initiate looked down the ledge, observing the giant hole created in between wooden planks. Even the Dauntless-born initiates were flabbergasted. It must be some new system they created recently.

"Is there water at the bottom to cushion our fall?" an Erudite girl asks.

"Well let's find out. I'll go first." Luke says before jumping down without hesitation. Our eyes widened as the boy plunged down the pitch black hole. Our eyes train on him, following his quick descend down the mysterious hole. It was a petrifying sight.

"Who's next?" Michael asks nonchalantly. Everyone bowed their heads, avoiding eye contact with Michael as they took a few steps back. I mimicked their movements. No way in hell was I going to be next. Who knows what's down that hole.

"You. You're next." I muster the courage to look up, only to see Michael pointing his index finger directly at me. I stood still, rooted to the spot as I stare blankly at him. He's probably still pissed at me for staring at Luke. Jealous much.

"Me?" I twiddled my fingers as my breaths begin to process unevenly.

"Yes you. Don't be a pussy and do it." He replies, laughing silently at my nervous state.

"Fine. You're probably just scared to do it yourself." I shot back, making the smirk on lips disappear. I stood on the ledge, gazing down the black hole. Goosebumps begin to rise on my tan skin and my stomach lurches just at the sight of it. I have to do it. If I don't do it now, I probably won't be able to do it again and become factionless. I squeezed my eyes shut. I bend my knees and jump.

My eyes remain closed as I feel the wind howl in my ears as I plummet down. I hear gasps and shrieks, but they gradually become less audible as my body descends. Anxiety was getting the best of me. I place my right hand on my chest, pressing it down to reduce the pain I felt from the fast pounding of my heart. Suddenly, my body lands on something hard. The surface cradles me as my body slowly sinks into it, like a huge net. The impact causes me to open my eyes wide as I look up the building. Holy shit, I survived.

I smile slightly, relieved that I actually made it. I cover my face with my hands, laughing silently from joy. I was impressed by my courage and frankly, it was a pleasant experience. My thoughts are erased as I feel someone lifting me up underneath my knees and my back. I maneuver my face to the right to see a glistening pair of blue eyes. Wait, am I being carried by Luke?

He pulls my head to his chest and smiles at me. I try my best to wiggle out of his grasp, using my strength to push him away, but to no avail.

"Let me go." I say, but it comes out more like a whisper.

He places a finger on my lips, smiling kindly into my eyes. "Shh...don't fight it." He whispers into my ear. I feel his hot breath brushing the side of my neck, making me shiver. Too caught up with the moment, I just look at his lips as I feel my cheeks begin to flush.

"Are you blushing?" A smirk appears on his lips. My eyes widened. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck. Was I really blushing?

"No." I say blatantly, but it comes out like a tiny sequel. I feel his hand grip my ass cheek and I let out a small moan unknowingly.

"You liked that didn't you?" He asks. I cringed at his words because it was true. He's got me wrapped around his finger within moments. I shook my head, getting rid of my vulnerable thoughts. I push him away from me, causing him to let to of me as I stand upright again. I brush my knees, getting hold of my thoughts again. Luke just stands inches away from me with his arms crossed.

What the fuck is this boy doing?