Prologue 1:Chosen

"I never loved you! You were a mistake! I should have aborted you when I had the chance!" She screamed me, but I brush off the words she shouts, as I've heard it all before.

Laura Vivani wasn't always a cruel woman. She used to be a loving, caring wife, and an amazing mother to me. But when Dad died, all of her kindness and warmth died with him.

Suddenly she lurches forward, one hand clutching a bottle, and the other reaching out to slap me. I heard it before I felt it. The sharp sound echoed around the room, as I clutched my throbbing cheek.

"Get out of my sight!" She mumbled, and fell onto the couch, passed out.
She turned to alcohol and drugs not long after dad had passed.

I ran up the stairs, and slammed the door of my small, cramped room. The peeling red paint made the wall look as if it was crying, and the only furniture I had was a single bed with a lumpy mattress and a thin green blanket. The only part of the room I liked was the window behind my bed, as I could see all of the stars at night.

I used to believe that all of the stars were someone that passed away, and I would pick the brightest star, and believe it was my dad. I talk to it every night. I know it sounds silly, but I've never given up hope that he could hear me, and help me if I was lost.

"Hey dad." I started, sadly laughing. "I miss you. Every day, I see something that reminds me of you. I see my friends laughing, and all I can think of is how you used to make me laugh like that." I said, looking down. "Mom lost herself when you died. I guess I lost both of my parents that day." I said sadly. "I remember you used to always say, 'hope is seeing the light in spite of being surrounded by darkness.' I know it seems bad now, but I'll never stop fighting. I'll never give up hope. For you." I finished.

I was about to turn away from the window, when I noticed a shining, blue light shooting towards me. I yelped, falling backwards. There was a huge crash, and, ever so slowly, I peeked out the window. There, near the old yew tree in my back garden, was a glowing, blue..... box? I had to investigate.

I grabbed my jacket, and raced down the stairs. It didn't matter how loud I was. I knew from experience, that once my mother passed out, she would not wake up. At least, not until the next day.
I shot out the back door, and into the night.

The tree wasn't far from my house, so I didn't have to run far, which was good, since I wasn't the most athletically inclined person.

When I reached the tree, I cautiously walked over to the glowing thing, which, once I saw in more detail, looked like an old style lantern.

I opened the door of the lantern, and out shot a radiating, blue-ish ring. "Alya Vivani, you have been chosen to join the Blue Lantern Corps."

The ring shot towards my hand, and I was engulfed in blue light. When the light faded, I saw that I was no longer in the clothes I left with. I was in a blue-spandex?- suit, and a mask covered my face.

"What the...." I mumbled, transfixed by the transformation. I tried to pull the costume off, but it seemed to be glued to me. Same with the mask.

I started running home, scared out of my mind, and suddenly I shot into the air, at least 50 feet off the ground.

"Woah," I gasped. Almost immediately after I flew up, my costume flickered, and I was no longer floating in the air, I was falling, and in my normal clothes. I hit the ground, and that was when I blacked out.

Hey guys!
This is my first part, well, my first story, ever, so sorry if it's a bit short. I'll try to make the chapters longer.
Please comment, and vote! Thanks for reading!
-dark_phoenix789