~4. Tradition

The following day - Saturday - was stressful. Clementine sat in her room trying every method she could to gather enough money. She looked at websites, funding pages, emailed charities. Nothing worked.

Clementine slept through most of the day on Sunday, due to staying up all night worrying and crying. In her sleep, she hears whispers around her. Her eyes flutter open and she sees the two people she least expected.

"Uhh, may I help you?" she sits up in her double bed, making the two teenagers jump.

"Good afternoon, lazy. We didn't know how to wake you," Brody awkwardly fidgets with her sleeves.

Marlon was stood by the crowded desk, where a laptop was still open. He noticed the many tabs open, all with similar search titles.

'Quick ways to earn money'

'Ways to pay off debts cheaper'

'Persuasive techniques'

All of these worried Marlon but he swiftly looks away.

"Why are you guys here? Who let you in?" Clem gets up and tries to tame her hair.

"Some cool kid with an afro, then a guy with a beard told us which room was yours." Marlon smiles at her and Clem rolls her eyes.

Brody links her arm with Marlon's, "And you're coming out with all of us tonight."

Clem over at the wall, for no real reason, she just didn't want to look at them.

"I- uh.. I don't know if I can tonight." she knew Bruiser would go to find her at night, he wouldn't risk getting caught in daylight. And as much as Clem wanted to find comfort in her new group of friends, she didn't want them to meet Bruiser. Or worse, get hurt by him. She couldn't risk them like that.

"But everyone's gonna be there! Come on, you have to." Brody insisted, "Do you already have plans?"

Marlon listened carefully and watched Clem's face as she avoided eye contact again.

"Not really plans. I need to see someone today- well, not need to. But they'll come see me tonight," her voice was noticeably quiet and her explanation made no sense to the couple.

"Who? A boyfriend?" Brody teased but Clementine shook her head instantly.

"No. Actually the exact opposite."

"Then he's not important, oh come on! It'll be fun really. I'm not giving in until you say yes."

"Fine but I'm nowhere near ready," Clem huffs, looking down at her hoodie and sweatpants.

Brody smiles, "I can help with that. Marlon go wait out in the hall." The girl practically shoves her boyfriend out the room.

The lanky teenager leans against the wall and pulls out his phone, going to text his best friend. Louis had obviously told him every dreamy detail of his intimate moment with Clem on Friday in the parking lot. It was none of Marlon's business but he knew Louis would appreciate being told.

M: Lou I think something's up with Clem.

L: Is she okay? How do you know? Weren't you meant to get drinks and Brody was meant to go get her?

M: We both came to get her for tonight and she was still asleep, she looks pretty bad.

L: Ok first of all, it's not possible for her to look 'bad'. And so? My girl's lazy, I love that.

Marlon smiled, knowing his best friend was head over heels for her. So much so, he was already calling her his.

M: No I mean she was obviously up all night. Her laptop was open and I saw her tabs.