Chapter Twenty-Six

Sally lay in bed awake, miserable. It was four in the morning and she couldn't sleep.

She had been sick for three days, and it only got worse. "Rayne..." She groaned. He didn't sleep either, in case Sally needed anything.

"Yes princess?"

"I'm cold." She whispered. Even though Rayne had given her every blanket in the house, she was shivering.

"I know." He said before sliding under the stifling hot covers. He kissed her forehead, which was burning. "Feel a little better?" He asked.

"A little bit. I'm sorry you have to stay up so late. I know you're tired." She lifted her head, but Rayne quickly pressed it back down to his chest.

"I'm not tired sweetheart. I've got to get you feeling better, and that's more important than sleep."

She gazed drearily out the window, barely awake. She could just imagine how Rayne felt. He had been staying up late, and getting up in the middle of the night for the past three days. She was starting to feel sorry for getting sick, even though there wasn't much she could do to stop it.

"You're warm enough, right?" He yawned.

"Yes... I'm sorry again. I don't want you to get sick."

"I couldn't care less about being sick. You just need to get better. I need someone to care about. You haven't gotten out of bed in days sweetheart. I'm worried."

She looked up to see him sweating from the heat of the blankets.

"I'm sorry I'm not able to be pretty right now. Being sick does a number on my appearance."

"Shut up. Do you really think I care about how you look? I've seen you in all states. Covered in blood, super angry, sick, sad, passed out, and... Other things." He said, blushing.

"What do you mean?"

He stuttered. Trying to hide his panic. "I-I... Golly gee Sally you live here."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well..." He hesitated

"Rayne... Spit it out before I spit on you."

"Sometimes when you fell asleep on the sofa I changed you into your pajamas." The words tumbled out of his mouth, and he winced. "Don't worry I didn't see anything I wasn't supposed to. It's alright. I wouldn't do that. It's rude."

Sally frowned. She burrowed herself beneath the covers and out of Rayne's sight.

"Sally! Ugh... Sally I'm a boy. That's what boys do. But I'm not like one because I like dying hair and I didn't see anything! I just put you in my hoodies and sweatpants. You never noticed when you woke up?"

She wiggled up to an opening, so just her face was visible. "I don't know I just assumed it was some weird ghosty stuff! And don't say it's just my imagination because you know it's true." She said saucily before disappearing into the blankets again.

"But I-"

Sally squirmed under the blankets, getting back to the opening. "I'm just kidding. As long as you didn't see anything..." She said, narrowing her eyes.

Rayne slipped his hands around her waist and hoisted her up from the depths of the bedcovers. "You're burning up!" He laughed. He moved his hand to behind her neck and pulled her in for a kiss.

"WAAAAIT!" Sally squirmed in an effort to get away.

"What?"

"You'll get the sick. And then you'll catch the miserable. And then you'll catch the boring. And then you'll catch the plague. And then you'll catch the death." She said.

Rayne laughed at the way she would say things, and how they seemed to spiral into some sort of awful but beautiful tragedy. "I don't care. Let me! I don't think I'll catch the plague or the death though. I don't care about the sick. Then you'll have to take care of me!" He grinned.

"Well if you insist."