Chapter Twenty-Three

Sally managed to wake herself up at six the next morning. It was Rayne's birthday. She found herself trapped by Rayne's arms, which was a problem because she had intended on making breakfast again. She struggled to get free without waking Rayne.

"Where are you going sweetheart?"

She looked up and saw Rayne smiling weakly at her. His eyes were only half open, and his joints were stiff from sleeping.

"Uh... Just, readjusting." She said.

"What time is it?"

She checked the window to make sure it was still dark out. "Uh... One. One in the morning."

"Oh, I thought it was later." He turned over and closed his eyes again, setting Sally free.

She crept downstairs and into the kitchen. She had hidden one of his presents by the pancake mix so she wouldn't forget to give it to him. She heard a noise in the living room. Jinxx had followed her downstairs and was prowling around the living room.

"Silly cat!" She said, placing the mixing bowl on the counter. She still had a lot of work to do, bake the cake, make pancakes, wrap the present, and think of something else. It was his eighteenth birthday after all. He would be able to legally vote and such, it wasn't supposed to be a small thing to celebrate.

Rayne came clomping down the stairs, aware of the fact that Sally had been lying about the time. "Alright cutie, I know it's not one. Come back to sleep, please?"

She panicked, his present was on the island, and she had been mixing ingredients! She ran into the hallway and blocked him before he could make it to the kitchen.

"Go back to sleep. It's your birthday, and it's early. I know you like to sleep late, and you should get to do that. Especially on your birthday." She turned Rayne around and began pushing him towards the stairs.

"I know sweetheart, but also because it's my birthday, I want you to come with me!" He laughed, digging his heels into the floor. "I don't want to go back to bed!"

"Too bad, I didn't want to get up early but I did that anyway. Because I love you."

"Well if you didn't want to why did you do it?"

"Because it's your birthday."

"But I want you to come back to sleep. I didn't want you to get up early."

Sally proceeded to pull Rayne up the stairs. He had sat on the bottom step and stubbornly refused to move.

"I have things for your birthday that require me getting up early. Now... Go... Back... To SLEEP!" She said, still tugging on Rayne's arm.

"I just don't want you to be downstairs, all by yourself. Too many bad things can happen."

Sally dropped him, causing him to fall to the floor.

"What could I possibly do that would be that bad?"

"It's not what you do, it's what the universe does. And the paranormal world. And other people. And-"

Sally raised her eyebrows sarcastically, Annoyed at his distrust.

"Well I mean you could be seen, someone could be walking through the woods, and come upon a house and wish to investigate. Like in Snow White!"

"What kind of person walks through the woods anymore especially-"

"Axe murderers." Rayne interrupted.

"Well if an axe murderer did happen to be walking through the woods, I have a kitchen full of knives, an over protective cat, and I think you would be able to hear me. Besides, what would you do to stop an axe murderer?"