Chapter Nineteen

Sally's mother and father sat on a pew in the small church outside of town. Her father had shed a few tears at the news of Sally's death. He had to be taken to the blackened and charred remains of Rayne's car to truly believe it. Blood did not lie. Her mother however, had eyes as dry as a desert. She knew Sally was dead, but she had seen it coming. She knew eventually Sally's little fantasies would get her into serious trouble.

Rayne's mother sat across the aisle, sobbing. She couldn't even look at his picture, wreathed in roses and ribbons. She had never met Sally, but the day Rayne met her he had spent less and less time at home. He had finally made a friend, and after years of moving around she had never got to meet her. And now both of them were dead. She glanced over to Sally's family. Their expressions were like stone.

After the Memorial service Rayne's mother attempted to somewhat pull herself together. "I-I'm very sorry... About Sally." She cringed and had to dry her eyes again.

"Oh we're very sorry about your son too. He was very, unique." Sally's mother hated Rayne and believed he was a bad influence. To her, he was the reason Sally was dead. 'He probably took his eyes off the road to look at his phone.' She thought.

"I'm sure she was wonderful. Rayne seemed to really-" She broke out in tears again.

"I'm sorry. It's just that he was the only family I had left!"

Sally's parents nodded sympathetically and made a beeline to their car.

"That woman was a bit off her rocker." Sally's mother said.

"Well she did lose her only child." Her father winced, remembering they had too.

"Well we didn't have a meltdown." Her mother sneered.

"She lost a child-"

"A teenager." She corrected. "I'm going to be honest, it's probably Rayne's fault Sally is dead. He was driving wasn't he? Sally hates driving."

Sally's father rolled his eyes and drove off.