1

„Are you nervous?"

„No." I replied keeping my eyes closed.

I was lying on the rooftop of my apartment enjoying the morning sun with my best friend, Kate, right next to me. This was one of my favourite places in the world.

I always came here when I needed time to think or just wanted to be by myself. Up here I always felt secure and peaceful. It was a place where all troubles and challenges seemed unimportant and where I could simply relax and forget about everything.

My Aunt and I lived in a little apartment in the center of the city. She had a leading position in Erudite so we could afford living on the top floor which meant having the best view.

Kate lived right next to me so we could always hang out and meet on the roof, which connected our apartments. It wasn't very dangerous climbing up here but of course we preferred to not tell our parents about it.

"Are you?" I asked her after a while.

"I don't know. A little. What if my test says I'm Abnegation. I don't think I could live the way they do." She sounded worried.

"Don't worry Kate, you'll be fine. And you're definitely not Abnegation. You enjoy looking at yourself in the mirror way too much." I joked.

Even though I had my eyes closed I knew she was glaring at me.

"Heey!" she exclaimed while slightly hitting my arm. "I just can't help it. I like what I see." She said flipping her hair back while smirking at me.

Kate was the complete opposite of me. She had short black hair cut into a long straight bob flattering her high cheek bones and pointy nose. She was a bit taller than me and had the most beautiful ocean blue eyes I had ever seen.

A lot of Erudite people had blue eyes...But I didn't.

My eyes were light green like my mother's. I had long blonde wavy hair and pale skin. The thing I liked most about myself were my lips. Full and plump in a light pink shade. All in all I was pretty satisfied with my looks.

Not that it mattered anyway.

They say that the face is the mirror of the mind because It's usually the first thing people notice when they meet someone but in my experience it often is the feature they rely on to make snap judgments...

I preferred personality over looks any time. So for me only the mind was the mirror of the mind and not the face.

I'd much rather be an ingenious person, unpleasant to look at than a simple-minded beauty.

Unfortunately, this is not how our society works.

I looked over at Kate. She was truly one of the most beautiful people I had ever seen, not because of her appearance but because of who she was underneath.

Kate was genuinely good. A  sweet person with a kind-hearted soul, extra-ordinary in everything she did. I loved her with all my heart.

We grew up together and were inseparable ever since the day we first met when she and her family moved here 12 years ago.

We both started laughing and joking about what faction we would end up in.

"You'd definitely be a terrible Candor. You're always lying!" Kate laughed.

"Excuse you! That's not true. I just prefer keeping certain things to myself."

I'm not a liar. I appreciate honesty but sometimes it's smarter to keep your mouth shut.