Chapter 17: Truth

There is endless psychological research on evil people. But in my experience the average sociopath has no idea they are wrong. They're born this way, not made. ~Kate Moretti

Gina wiped sweat off her forehead as she trudged towards the science building under the scorching sun. She put the handkerchief back in her cross bag and pulled out her phone. Fifteen past two. She was already late for the lecture so why bother hurrying. She'd just put the phone back when it started vibrating. She decided to ignore it, hoping the caller would give up but it continued until she answered the call.

"What do you want now?" she asked.

"Good afternoon to you too, Gina. How are you doing?"

"I don't have time for your games now," she said and hang up. Her studies were more important than listening to blackmail.

RK called again.

"What's wrong with you? I can't talk to you now because I have to get to class."

"You'll be in jail soon," he chuckled. "Why bother to study? Did you see the news?"

"Yeah, so?" Gina didn't want to let him find out how worried and sad she was because the police had found her beloved keys. They were the things that gave her comfort in had times and she loved them more than anything in the world. After leaving Dylan's, she'd gone ahead and hidden the remaining keys in her backyard and and planted a flower on top. She'd dug the hole under the most leafy flower and placed dried leaves on top next to the newly planted flower. If she ended up telling the truth to the police, at least they'd never find the last of her collection.

"I know you're scared even though you act like you're not."

"Is that all you called to tell me?"

"Why are you like this? You should be threatening me."

She smiled, knowing she'd spoiled his game. He'd been hoping for a confrontation but Gina knew how to handle people like him. Be calm and they'll get bored.

"Anyway, I'm ready. If the police arrest me, I'll tell them the truth. I have lost the most valuable keys anyway. What's the point?"

"If you tell the truth, we'll kill Liana and Hellen."

Gina chuckled. "I know you won't so stop issuing your threats. If I tell the truth, it'll be to save them. The police will trace your phone and they'll get you before you touch my friends. You can't kill them because you gain nothing from that. There'll be no evidence to prove I had anything to do with your murders so I'll surely not rot in jail. What will you have gained? Nothing."

"Don't you care about your friends?"

"I do, and I love them. That's I'm looking for the best way to save them. If it means saying the truth, I will."

"If they die because of you, you'll never forgive yourself."

Gina laughed. "Maybe but I'm not so emotional so I'll still be able to live a normal life. Don't do something silly because you think it'll break me. Liana and Hellen have nothing to do with this."

"Nothing to do with what?"

Gina turned, startled. Rory was standing behind her. She hang up on RK. "Where did you come from?"

"Don't worry," he said. "I didn't hear much. Why were you talking about Hellen and Liana? Do you know where they are?"

"Of course I don't. They're my missing friends. Can't I talk about them?"

"Of course you can," he shrugged. "Aren't you late?"

"What if I am?" She snapped and entered the building. The lecture went by so fast she hardly realized how boring old Hawthorne was that day.

After exchanging a few words with her neighbours, she went outside. She wasn't surprised to find Detective Barnes waiting. She'd known he'd soon come back.

"Let's go," he said and walked to his car. Gina followed him without saying a word.

At the police station, he took her to the interrogation room and placed a bundle of keys on the table. "Do you recognize these?"

"Yes," there was no point in denial.

"What do you know about them?" He asked.

"Can I touch?" It'd been so long since she'd seen them.

"No. Tell me what you know about the keys."

"I'm a key collector. I'm obsessed with keys and I collected these."

"You mean you stole them?"

"No, I collected them. I might have done so without informing the owners."

"Which is stealing."

"I prefer not to call it that."

"Well, what about the keys that I showed you last time?"

"Those were from my collection."

"Why did you lie to me?"

"I was being blackmailed by Liana's kidnappers."

"What?" Detective Barnes banged his fist on the table. "You know who's holding Liana Tran?"

"Not really but I've talked to him. Actually, he called me right before I went to the lecture. He has Hellen too. They're both alive."

"Then why didn't you tell us?"

"I don't want him to kill my friend," Gina replied.

"I cannot believe this," Barnes said, standing up. He ran a hand through his hair. "What else are you hiding, Gina Breya?"

"Nothing."

"But, why should I believe you? What if you had your friend kidnapped because she threatened to reveal your secret?"

"I'd never do that and Liana would never betray me. We're like sisters."

"You seem like someone who doesn't get attached easily."

"So? Anyway, I recorded the voice calls."

"Those can be staged."

"But they were not."

"Okay, tell me the whole truth. What really happened that night?"

It's time, Gina thought.

"Okay."

A/N: Hey there! Thanks for reading. Please vote, comment or share. A follow would be much appreciated too.

Love, CG.