Chapter One

Head Captain Genriusi Yamamoto sat in his Captain's chair as he watched his fellow Captains of the Gotei 13 file through the door and get into two parallel lines, facing one another. Yamamoto had called a sudden Captains meeting almost an hour ago that had most of the Captains puzzled. His motives for drawing the meeting so suddenly were unclear to all of the Captains in the room; he had yet to speak about anything to them and the fact that this meeting was suddenly called didn't seem like it would bode well.

Yamamoto's attention, along with all of the other Captain's, was drawn back to the door when the familiar bickering voices of Squad Eleven's Captain and Lieutenant, Kenpachi and Yachiru, were heard. Good, they were here. Now they could start. They were still waiting on one key player to join this meeting, but for now, Kenpachi's presence would be enough for Yamamoto to get started on why he had called everyone else here to begin with.

As Kenpachi walked through the door, the bells on his hair created a jingling noise that quieted as he stopped suddenly, his eyes glancing around the room in complete and utter boredom, showing that he had only deigned to appear because it was required of him to do so. Once he discerned that the person he was looking for was not in the room, he shared a glance with Yamamoto then sighed. "Well, isn't that inconvenient," he muttered as he slowly paced over to his spot in one of the lines, completely ignoring the other looks sent his way by his fellow Captains.

Mayuri Kurotsutchi, who always seemed to be agitated by Kenpachi's presence one way or another, growled in annoyance at him and the words that had come out of his mouth. "What do you mean 'inconvenient'? You're the one we were waiting on in the first place. We would have been able to start this meeting a long time ago if you had just appeared on time. I've got research that shouldn't have to be put on hold for a clumsy oaf like you."

Kenpachi glanced over at the Research Division's Captain nonchalantly. As if he cared what Mayuri thought of him. "What makes you think you were waiting on me?" he questioned, not allowing himself to get annoyed by the psychotic man who was questioning him.

"You were the last Captain to arrive. And this is a Captains meeting," Soi Fon stated, making sure sarcasm was leaked into her voice. The taller Captain turned his attention on the woman, but didn't speak to her in anyway; he felt as if he didn't need to.

"Enough." Yamamoto stood, silencing all further complaints and comments from the Captains as they all turned their gazes to the old man.. He sighed, grabbing the staff that was his Zanpakuto and walking down the stairs to the other Captains, their attention's never leaving his moving form. "Captain Zaraki is not the one we were waiting on. There is someone else that must arrive before we are allowed to continue this meeting," he stated gruffly.

"Then who are we waiting on Head Captain?" Jushiro asked in confusion, wondering if the man had finally had it. Who else did they have to have at a Captains meeting for the meeting to continue, especially considering that everyone was already present and accounted for.

Yamamoto looked over at Kenpachi with a questioning. "I sent the summons almost two hours ago to ensure that she would be here on time. It was your duty to assure that she arrived on time," he stated to the man.

"Unfortunately, she was gone before I was awake," Kenpachi said in annoyance. He didn't like the blame being laid at his feet when anyone and everyone else was just as capable as he was about reminding the girl to be on time for this meeting.

"Yeah! Poor Kenny is too lazy to wake up early enough to catch Ay-Ay-chan!" Yachiru said enthusiastically from his shoulder, getting everyone's attention when she mentioned Kenpachi's second Lieutenant and her adopted sister.

"We're waiting for Aya Nara?" Byakuya Kuchiki asked in annoyance, his slate gray eyes shining with contempt. His distaste for the young girl was apparent; he felt that she was far too lenient to be a Soul Reaper, much less the Lieutenant of any Squad in the Soul Society. "Head Captain, I respectfully ask that I am allowed to return to my barracks. We will be waiting on that girl all day long and some of us are actually busy with our work," he stated, shutting his eyes in annoyance.