"I can't imagine what Carter went through when Jack's mother up and left."

"It was a difficult time for him, but he stayed strong." Reed shrugged. "He had to. Jack needed him." He cleared his throat. "Is your family still in Wyoming?"

"Yes." I grabbed my bottle and took a drink of beer. "Dad still works and lives on the ranch. My sister, Cassie, is married and has three boys. She and her husband own their own ranch. I need to get up there sometime for a visit. It's been a little over a year since I last saw them. We keep in touch and she sends pictures, but it's not the same as actually being there."

"Do you have any pictures with you?" he asked.

"Of course, I do." I removed my wallet from my purse, opened it, and took out several small pictures, handing them to him. As he glanced at them, he showed them to me and I identified the person or people for him. Seeing pictures of my family and the ranch made me homesick.

"You have a beautiful family, Winnie." Reed handed me back the photos. "When you want to go and see them just let me know. A weeks notice so that I can find someone to take your place would be fine. I'll even let you borrow the jet."

"Thank you." I beamed at him. "I'll keep that in mind."

Just then, the server arrived with our food. She placed a steaming bowl of stew in front of me and one in front of Reed. After telling us to enjoy she moved to another table to take a couples order. I picked up a spoon, dipped it into the stew, and took a bite.

"How is it?" Reed queried while he stirred his stew.

I gave him a thumbs up.

Though I told Reed it wasn't necessary, he insisted on walking me to my door. According to him, it was bad manners not to see a lady to her door. It was sweet in an old-fashioned kind of way. We paused beneath the lit porch light and I turned to face him. I leaned my head back and gazed up at him. In a soft voice, I thanked him for dinner.

"You're welcome." He stuck his hands in his pockets and rocked back on his heels. "Thank you for the company."

"You're welcome." I cleared my throat. "I had a nice time."

"So did I." Reed dipped his head slightly and uttered in a quiet voice, "We'll have to do it again."

"I'd like that." I took a deep breath and caught a whiff of his cologne. It was a nice scent. Not too strong like some of the other colognes I've come across. I took another deep breath and moved a little bit closer. When I felt his body heat, I realized it was too close and took a few steps back.

"Winnie," he murmured. "This morning you asked me why I wasn't married with a house full of children. I must admit I've often wondered the same about you. You are a beautiful, vivacious, smart, kindhearted woman. I find it surprising that you're still single."

"I - I'm afraid of marriage." I bowed my head, hiding my face from his penetrating gaze. "What if I'm not any good at it? What if deep down I'm like my mother and I end up leaving my family?"

"No." Reed grasped my chin gently in his hand and raised my head. He looked into my eyes. "You are not your mother, Winnie. I would bet my life on that. Don't let what she did to you keep you from finding happiness. You deserve to love and be loved in return."

I watched as his eyes came to rest on my mouth. Suddenly the air between us came alive with electricity. My heart skipped a beat and my breath caught in my throat. Was he going to kiss me? Did I even want him to? I searched my heart and found that yes I wanted him to kiss me. The revelation shocked me.

Slowly Reed lowered his head. As his mouth settled on mine my eyes drifted shut. I parted my lips and he slipped his tongue inside. I was unprepared for how sweet, how tender the kiss was. Moaning, I tilted my head and deepened the kiss, my arms going up to encircle his neck. I pressed my body against his and heard a groan escape him.

We ended the kiss, a minute later, and stared at each other. The realization of what we had just done hit me like a ton of bricks. Carefully I unwound my arms from around his neck. I tried to say something and found that my voice wouldn't cooperate with me.

"You're already regretting it, aren't you?" he croaked.

"N-no," I stuttered. "I just - I'm just speechless."

"So you're telling me all I had to do to get you to shut up was kiss you." Reed sighed and shook his head. "I wish I had known that a long time ago. It would've come in handy all those times you were yapping my head off."

I punched him lightly on the arm.

"I was just kidding. " He caressed my cheek with the back of his hand. "I hope you won't come to regret our kiss, Winnie, because I know I won't."

"I won't either, but-" I hesitated for a moment. "Where do we go from here? Do we put it behind us and move on as though it never happened? I - I don't know what to think or how to feel. I'm confused."

"Let me tell you how I feel." Reed laid his hands on my shoulders. "I'm attracted to you. I think after the kiss we just shared it's obvious. What I need to know is are you attracted to me?"

"I think so," I whispered. "I mean I don't think I would've kissed you if I wasn't."

"Then here's my proposal," he said. "We take it one day at a time. Keep things nice and slow and see where this attraction leads us . . . see if something more meaningful can develop between us. No pressure and no strings attached. If it doesn't work then at least we could say we tried."

"I need time to think," I told him. "I can't make any decisions right now."

"I understand," he assured me. "Take all the time you need."

I nodded. "Good night then."

"Good night, Winnie." Reed gave me a peck on the cheek, turned, and headed toward the mansion. My heart in my throat I watched him go.