46

"The man tried to kill you," Greer shouted, pointing at the dark cell. "And you think I'm going to let you in there unprotected?"

Koph knocked on the door again. "You, in there, get up."

Greer moved to the Union Leader's side and tried to pull him away from the door. Koph wouldn't budge. He craned his head over his neck and shouted "Let me see him," into Greer's face.

"No," Greer replied, shaking his head. His battle against the steadfast leader's stance started to go his way as Koph had to replant a foot to keep balance. "Don't make me remove you from my office," he said, wrapping his arms around Koph's waist.

"Unhand me," Koph shouted. "Why won't you let me speak with him?"

"He. Tried. To. Kill. You." Greer dictated slowly, deliberately as he started to try to lift the leader.

Koph struggled. "I at least need to see his face."

Greer finally got Koph's feet off the floor and started dragging him back towards the front of the office. He plopped the leader down onto a waiting bench near Wilcox's desk, panting for breath. "You're heavier than you look," he said between sharp intakes of air.

Also winded, Koph replied between gasps "Yeah, you're stronger than you look."

"What is all this about?" Greer asked after having caught his breath. "Why do you need to see him so badly. Why would you want to see the man that tried to kill you?"

Koph shook his head. "I'm not quite sure yet myself."

"You jumped and ran at the mention of his title. Did that ring any bells?"

"It's an old title," Koph replied but didn't elaborate.

"Right," agreed Greer. "Old and strange. The Cyneweard haven't been around since the Emperor disappeared during the Purge."

Koph nodded. "If he's one of them, then he's probably come a long way here."

"And why would a Remnant, especially one of the Emperor's guard, try to kill you?"

The Union Leader didn't have an answer for that. He simply shrugged and turned his head to cough.

"Sorry for squeezing so hard," Greer said.

"I wasn't in my right mind," Koph dismissed. "It's fine."

After a long pause, Koph asked, "What proof do you have that he tried to kill me?"

Greer sighed. "He slammed me in the face. Witnesses told us that after he stormed the stage, he knocked you to the ground and then began fighting another potential assassin."

"And you killed that assassin?"

"Yeah," Greer replied, face falling at the memory.

"And did this Cyneweard try to add further harm to my person?"

Greer shrugged. "The other attacker got the upper hand. Witnesses say his face looked as if murder was his first and only love."

"But still," Koph said. "He never tried to specifically harm me."

"He slammed you down the ground."

"What if he was trying to keep me safe?" Koph suggested.

"Why would he have attacked me?"

"Maybe you were in his way."

"Of killing you," Greer replied.

"I still don't see a motive."

"Well," Greer replied with hesitation, "Wilcox and I believe him to be linked to at least three murders. Three deaths that occurred ancillary to all the messed up stuff between your group and the Machinists."