Eighteen

"Alright, you're not used to these powers. You're used to them suppressed; but not like this." The doctor spoke, making me jolt my head around. After the suppressors came out, I blacked out. It seems that's all I do nowadays. "I- I can feel everything. I can feel the particles in the air, I can feel the damn dirt for god sake." I glanced down at my arms, knitting my eyebrows together. "Like he said, Blue. You aren't used to this level of power." Steve spoke, immediately making tears fall from my eyes. "I don't like this. I can feel your emotions, Steve. I can hear distant conversations- I can hear for miles, I-" Before I could spit out another word, Steve embraced me, soothing me down. My breathing hitched multiple times, tears falling down and staining on his shirt. "You're gonna be okay, Blue. Just breathe, alright?" Natasha soothed, making me nod my head quickly. "What if I won't? Cause I feel like I'm dying." I watched Natasha move to the right, making me jump slightly. It looked like her soul left her body; a transparent version of her moved before the physical one did. I sat in awe, wondering what the hell just happened. "Natasha, move again." I spoke, causing her to furrow her eyebrows. 

"Move? Why?" She questioned, looking at me with worry. "Just do it." I demanded, watching her roll her eyes slightly. I focused my eyes in, and slowly the transparent version of herself moved before she did again. I widened my eyes, stepping back a little. "What's wrong?" She questioned, taking a step toward me. "I can see what you do before you do it." I breathed out, causing her to look even more curious. I felt chills erupt my body, right before she grabbed a pocket knife, throwing it at me with force. I readied myself, preparing to catch it in real time. I threw my hand up, stopping it on a dime with my powers. "Well, it makes sense. Your powers have been maturing for years. Just finally being unleashed." The doctor voiced, walking up to me and observing the knife in mid-air. "How is this possible?" Nick asked, adjusting his shirt. "I don't exactly know, but from what I can hear, she can see things happen before they... happen." He spoke, causing me to nod my head. "Thats exactly what it is." I dropped the knife, picking it up and giving it to Nat. 

"I would have never done that if I didn't believe you." She gave me a smile, making me nod my head. I breathed out, looking over to Nick. He stood, adjusting his sling, sitting down at the table in the facility. He observed the black and white photo of Pierce, lighting a cigarette. "This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." He spoke about Alexander, picking the picture up and glaring down at it. "He also is a psychotic maniac who does things only for himself, like brainwashing his own daughter and turning her into a fighting machine." I sighed, leaning back onto the table. "Tatiana?" He questioned, looking over to me. I stared back at him, nodding my head slightly. "We have to stop the launch." Natasha broke her silence, dead panning whatever was in front of her. "I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Nick spoke with sarcasm, opening a black brief case. 

"What's that?" Sam questioned the case, glancing down at it. "Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized." Maria explained, sliding her computer over so we could watch the video. "We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Nick spoke as we watched the video, all understanding in unison. "One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die." She further explained, causing me to nod my head. "We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left..." Nick elucidated, watching the three of us standing. 

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD." Steve bantered, glancing down at Nick. "SHIELD had nothing to do with it." Nick responded quickly, leaning forward. "You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." Steve stated; confidence in his stance. I sighed slightly, crossing my arms at the two. "Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." He fought back, quickly receiving a response. "And how many paid the price before you did?" 

Nick looked down, an expression of defeat smearing across his face. "Look, I didn't know about Barnes." Nicks words made my heart drop, and immediately with his name, I felt his emotions. A tear fell from my eye as I turned around, and my skull felt like it was getting run over a million times. "No, not again." I whispered, slowly getting myself under control. The feeling faded as I focused in on my heartbeat, slowly feeling my own emotions again. "Even if you have, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes." Steve declared, exaggerating his words with his body movements."Whoever I encounter, if they aim a gun at my head they're an enemy. HYDRA, or SHIELD. I don't care which one- I'm taking them out." I spoke sternly, placing my hands on the table. I heard a small laugh from next to me, making me jolt my head in the direction it came from. "It's nice to see you all badass now. You're reminding me of... me." Natasha mumbled, making me smirk. "Well, it's now or never, and now is a good time. Seeing people want me dead." I teased, causing her to nod her head in agreement. 

 "Steve's right." Maria softly spoke as Nick glanced to Sam. "Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower." Sam joked, causing me to let out a laugh. "Well... Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain." Nick looked over to Steve, causing me to smile. I turned around, smiling cheerily at Steve. "Guess he is." I whispered as he glanced at Nick. Steve looked at me, then back down to the floor. "I need some fresh air. Come with me." I whispered over to Steve, causing him to nod. We walked out of the room, slowly making our way out of the facility. "I need to be honest with you." I spoke to him, causing him to glance over to me. "About what?" He questioned as he followed me up the outside stairs, leading up to the stone walking bridge. "Bucky Barnes." I stated, stopping my feet as I glanced forward. "What about him?" He questioned, keeping his eyes on me. "When the car flipped, before we got to your apartment, I saw him. I was ready to fight him, stupidly. But something happened." I managed, looking down at the ground far below us. Steves face was unexplainable. But I needed to tell him. "I felt memories. But when the doctor took the suppressors out, I saw them. They came back to me." I admitted, watching him look down. "I saw... you." I let out, trying my best to keep composure. 

"I saw Coney Island in the twenties, I felt the air around both of you in his memories. Steve, I tapped into his mind, and It feels like a part of me is now with him, and a part of him with me." I further explained, looking over to him. His eyes were fixed to the trees from afar; I tried my best to keep myself calm, but tears came pouring out of my eyes. "I feel him every second. I feel his emotions, his thoughts. He hates himself and everyone around him." I cried out, calming myself down after. Steve nodded, I could feel him trying to understand. He felt hurt, confusion and disbelief all at once. "You have to believe me, Steve. I wouldn't lie to you." I whispered, grabbing his arm. "I could stop him." I continued. He glanced into my eyes, right before sighing. "We can't tell anyone about this. Keep it between us; If I can take some HYDRA out of him then maybe I could save him." I finished, watching Sam approach us. 

"He's gonna be there, you know?" Sam spoke, walking up beside me. "I know." Steve stated simply, staring forward. "Look, whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop." His words made me and Steve glance at one another, then back forward. "I don't know if I can do that." Steve mumbled, making me softly touch my shoulder to his arm. "Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you." Sam responded, making me stifle a smile. "He will. Gear up, it's time." I broke my silence, patting Sam on the shoulder as I passed him.

I walked into the room that Nick was in, right after swiftly making my way back into the facility. "Maria, get the brief case. You know which one." He yelled over to Maria as he saw me. She nodded, leaving the room. "I can't fight in this." I gestured to my sweater and denim jeans, causing him to sternly stare back at me. "No reading my mind, kid. I know your powers are now quadrupled in strength, but you won't use them on me." He teased as Maria passed him what he wanted, causing me to roll my eyes. "That was what you call a coincidence." I jested as he opened the case, pulling the suit out. He passed it to me, causing me to smile. "This is an improvement." I smiled, right before he spoke. "Tony gave me blueprints. I requested them before... everything happened." His words made my face fall, thinking about Tony again. He probably suspected this. Well, now I know why Iron Man hasn't been knocking at my door.