Eleven

I looked down, watching my boots step along the concrete. I had a fear of looking up, for I knew eyes would be darting at me and Steve's directions. We were walking right into the snake pit. The air was still- I could feel the tension flowing through it. We walked into the building- synchronizing our steps. As we walked into the elevator, Steve kept his eyes on me.

I leaned back onto the glass, letting a breath out. He reached his arm around my shoulder, bringing me into his side. His embrace soothed my nerves, calming me down enough to breathe steadily. Steve Rogers filled a void I don't think anyone could. No matter how much loss I have been through- he stayed. He always stayed. We walked out of the elevator- entering the hallway. Alexander and Agent 13 exchanged a few words as we approached them. She tried her best avoiding eye contact with Steve as she passed us, speaking.

"Captain rogers." She greeted him, receiving a salty response from the soldier.

"Neighbor."

We approached Alexander- welcoming us with a warm smile. "Blue- it's great to see you again." He gave me a small hug, causing my heartbeat to quicken. My father and him had history; seeing his daughter used to be my best friend. "You as well." I looked over to Steve, his eyebrows were in the classic furrow.

Steve and Alexander greeted each other as I observed my surroundings. I never told Steve about my relationship with him, it was always covered up- or irrelevant. We walked into his office- the smell of leather erupted my nose as we entered. He walked over to the conference table, picking up two photos. He walked over to Steve, gently placing them in his hand.

"That photo was taken five years after Nick and I met. When I was at State Department in Bogota." He spoke, placing his jacket on the back of one of the chairs. I stood next to Steve, looking at the photo. "ELN rebels took the embassy, and security got me out- but the rebels took hostages. Nick was deputy chief for the SHIELD station there. And he comes to me with a plan. He wants to storm the building through the sewers. I said, 'No, we'll negotiate.'" We both watched him, as he continued.

"Turned out the ELN didn't negotiate, so they put out a kill order. They stormed the basement, and what did they find? They find it empty." He continued, placing files on the desk as we all sat. "Nick had ignored my direct order and carried out an unauthorized military operation on foreign soil. He saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter." My breathing seemed to stop as I listened to his words. I looked at him, receiving an apologetic face.

I haven't really thought about her until the day Nick was killed by that masked murderer- after the dream. Thankfully, Steve didn't notice our interaction. He continued to speak on the matter. "So you gave him a promotion." Steve spoke, turning his head. "I've never had any cause to regret it." Alexander smiled softly, before speaking again. "Captain, why was Nick in your apartment last night?" My face erupted in heat, as I kept it still. Steve didn't even glance in my direction, which I was thankful for.

"I don't know." Steve replied, as my senses calmed. "You know it was bugged?" Alexander asked quickly. "I did- cause Nick told me." He replied, receiving a grim smile from the man.

"Did he tell you he was the one who bugged it?" Steves face fell, clearly thinking deeply. "Blue, would you mind exiting the room for a minute?" Alexander spoke. I looked at Steve, as he nodded his head. I stood, walking out of the room and into the hallway. I leaned back onto the wall- feeling the cold through my suit. The soft buzzing of the lights above me kept company, as I stood there alone.

Chills erupted up and down my back- causing me to straighten my body. I looked down, seeing the smallest amount of electric shocks travel on my skin. I knew from the moment I entered the building that something wasn't right. "Understood." I heard Steves voice muffled through the wall. I clenched my fists, as he walked out of the door and into the hallway. We both walked to the elevator in silence.

He pushed the elevator button, turning around. He looked at me, giving me a look I couldn't describe. I knew why. I knew what was happening. The doors opened, causing us to walk inside. "Operations control." He spoke to the elevator, looking through the glass.

"Steve, somethings not righ-" Before I could finish, Rumlow caught the elevator doors, causing them to open. He walked inside- his soldiers following close behind him.

"Forensics." Rumlow spoke, as it got a little cramped in the elevator. "Cap, Blue." He greeted us, causing me to look up at him.

"Rumlow." Steve spoke, turning around. I simply nodded. Rumlow and Steve exchanged words, but I couldn't focus. I heard too many heartbeats. They were at an unusual rate- causing me to squint my eyes. Anger and fear.

I looked down, seeing one of the soldiers with their hand resting upon their gun; trying their best to act normal. Me and Steve glanced at each other, as the elevator stopped. Even though he didn't have the mental abilities that I did, he knew everything. The doors opened, and four men walked in.

I leaned back further, eventually touching my shoulder to Steves arm. He looked down at me, then back up. He moved away from me, getting further toward the elevator doors. He knew what he was doing, and so did I. I got further back, making enough room. "I'm sorry about what happened with Fury. Messed up, what happened to him." His face was easily decoded. He wasn't very good faking an emotion.

"Thank you." Steve nodded his head, glancing back at me. I smirked softly- nodding my head.

The elevator stopped again; more men walked in- heightening our enemy count. I put my hands behind my back- creating pulses of energy within my palms. "Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?" Steve spoke- creating silence. One of the men ejected a taser rod- shocking Steve. I felt someone grab my shoulders- trying to push me down. I grabbed their head- pulsing energy through their skull. He fell- as one of the agents placed a magnetic band around Steves wrist. I was flung to the back of the elevator- slightly breaking the glass with my head. The agent wrapped his hand around my neck- dragging me up the glass.

I held onto his hand as my feet dangled below- my breathing quickly depleting. I launched my hands out- causing him to fly toward another agent- knocking him to the ground. I fell on my knees- grabbing my neck. Steve was taking them out one by one- until there was only four left. I connected my energy to two of them- pulling them together; causing them to hit each others heads. They fell to the ground- groaning. Steve took care of the rest- until it was only Rumlow left.

"I just want you two to know, this ain't personal." Rumlow launched his hand forward- causing me to launch him into the ceiling light- crashing back down onto the floor. "It kind of feels personal." I let out a breath- pushing the elevator button.

"You couldn't have done that earlier?" He spoke- out of breath. Rumlow was passed out- energy still traveling around his body. "Well- I would have. I was just busy being choked to death." I sassed. Steve broke the magnet off of his wrist as the doors opened; revealing fully armored agents in the hallway- pointing their guns toward us.

"Drop your shield and put your hands in the air!" One of the men declared, causing Steve to break the elevator wires- sending us in a free-fall. The emergency brakes reacted- causing us to come to a stop. He walked up, opening the doors above us. I looked up- seeing more soldiers running toward us. He quickly shut the doors as I turned around. He walked beside me- looking me in the eyes.

"Are we..." He asked- breathing heavily. I let out a breath- looking down at the glass roof of the lobby below.

"Yes. We're jumping."