Chapter thirty-three: Vitani's point of view

A month or two after Kopa passed, Vitani had been taking her anger out on a small branch in the outlands, near her mother's cave.

She still refused to believe it. Kopa couldn't be gone. Why had her mother done something like that? Especially considering how she had been such good friends with Sarabi, and had even rescued Nala once when she was a cub.

Vitani was jerked out of her thoughts when a voice came up from behind her. "Oh, hey Vitani. Whatcha doing, training for a tug fight or something?" Vitani ignored him, continuing to tug at the branch. Nuka wouldn't leave her alone. "Gee, do you happen to know where Kovu is?" She still didn't answer. By now, Nuka was becoming annoyed. He came in between Vitani and the branch and then extended his claw, cutting the branch. Vitani had been tugging so hard that she was sent flying back onto the ground with the stick in her mouth as Nuka howled with laughter. Getting to her feet, Vitani spit the stick out and glared at her brother.

"Nuka!!! Where's Kovu?"

"As if I would know, little termite scampered off by himself."

"Mom's gonna be mad, she told you to watch him."

"Eh, little termite's old enough to be out on his own."

"You're just upset still because Kovu's the chosen one."

"Because Kovu's the chosen one." Nuka said, mocking his sister. "Oh, who cares? I should have been the chosen one." Vitani rolled her eyes. "I'm the oldest, the smartest," he suddenly began to freak out from itching. "OH THESE TERMITES!!!!" And he went all around, trying to bite at his back to get the termites in his fur as Vitani snickered to herself.

Almost a few seconds after Nuka began pestering her, Vitani's mother walked into the Outlands with Kovu by the back. Kovu looked terrified. She dropped him on the ground rather harshly. She looked mad.

Vitani ran up to greet her brother. "Hey, Kovu. You wanna fight?" They began making growling noises at each other playfully. Zira began to back Nuka up against a tree, confronting him.

"You were supposed to be WATCHING HIM!!!" She bellowed, Nuka cowering in the corner. Kovu walked away from Vitani, standing up for his brother.

"Please, mother!! It wasn't his fault. I went out on my own."

"And what did you do when you 'went out on your own', Kovu? You met that little brat of a pridelander!!!"

"I'm sorry, mother!!!" He stammered. "She didn't seem so bad. I-I thought we could be-"

"Friends?" Zira asked, cutting Kovu off. "You thought Simba and the others would just welcome you because you were friends with his daughter? What an idea..." Then, it was almost like a lightbulb went off in her head. "What an idea!!!" She smiled down at Kovu. "My little prince," she picked him up by his back again, walking into the cave, Vitani and Nuka at her heels. "You truly have the mind of Scar." She gently but also harshly dropped him into the rock throne that he normally slept in. "With this plan, getting to Simba will surely be easier."

Kovu started, "But I don't want-"

"Hush!!!" Zira barked, then said, more gently, "hush, my little prince. You must be exhausted. You just sleep and let your dreams of being kind bloom." She then began to sing a sort of lullaby to him to get him to go to sleep. (No, guys. That song is copyright and would probably take up a majority of this chapter, so sorry, no "Zira's lullaby" song in this story.)

Vitani and Nuka soon went deeper into the cave after their mother was finished with her randomly breaking out into song. Vitani layed down near her sister, Hatari. Laying there, she couldn't help but think about Zira's reaction to Kovu becoming friends with Kiara compared to Vitani's becoming friends with Kopa. When Vitani had been friends with Kopa, Zira flat out attacked him. But with Kiara, she was all for it, as it would help get Kovu to the throne. Vitani didn't want to blame her younger brother, though. He couldn't help himself, he hardly knew any other lion cubs in the pride. But Kiara...Vitani had met Kiara when she was friends with Kopa. Kiara could have all the friends she wanted in the pridelands. Anger bubbled inside of Vitani. Her mother had killed Kopa for being friends with Vitani, but let Kiara live, as Kovu was the chosen one. Vitani wanted revenge on Kiara, and she would be willing to do anything to get it.