Chapter twenty six: Vitani's point of view

Vitani came home to the border of the pridelands. It was pretty dreary, almost colourless. Greys and blacks mixed together on the ground as color pastels. The air was filled with a dense fog, clouding Vitani's vision. Finally, she made it to the cave, hoping no one would notice her coming back.

"Oh, hey Vitani." Vitani jumped and whirled around to find only Nuka.

Angry, she growled, "Nuka!!! I said not to do that!!!"

"Since when do I ever listen to you, Vitani? You'd better have a good excuse for running off today."

"Why do you care?"

"Never said that I did, but mom's pretty mad that you ran off."

"It's not my fault. You were supposed to be watching me."

"Well when I watch you, you're not supposed to run off!!!"

A scratchy voice came from inside the cave. "Vitani, is that you?"

Vitani gulped, stuttering, "Yes, mother. I'm home." Zira walked out of the cave, Kovu and Hatari at her heels.

"Care to explain where you've been, young lady?"

"Nowhere, mother. Just down by the water hole."

"And why would you want to go there?"

"...well, I was thirsty, mother. And Nuka wasn't paying attention to me; so I went to get a drink."

"Yes..." She turned to Nuka. "And do you know the meaning of those words, Nuka? Paying attention?"

Unexpectedly being put on the spot, Nuka was silent. "Well, mother...you see, I was just-"

"Oh I'm sure you were." She turned to Vitani and Kovu. "Vitani, Kovu, inside. Now."

"Yes, mother." They said at the exact same time. They scurried away from their mother and brother and into the cave just as Zira began to chew Nuka out.

Once they were inside the safety of the cave, Kovu asked, "So, why did you really go to the water hole today?"

"I had to get my mind off some things." Vitani confessed.

"Off of what?"

"Kovu, why does it have to be this way?"

"I'm not sure I understand what exactly you mean..."

"I mean like this. We're the only technical Outlanders in the pride. I feel like an outsider around the other cubs."

"Well, mother isn't exactly comfortable around all of the lions, especially Simba, as he killed Scar. I thought you knew that?"

"But it wasn't Simba who killed Scar, it was the hyenas!!! And even if it was his fault, Scar killed Mufasa first!!!"

"Yeah, try telling mother that."

It was silent for a moment, before Vitani changed the subject. "Kovu, you'll never guess who I met today."

"Oh yeah? Who?"

"I met Prince Kopa. He saved my life."

Kovu's smile dropped instantly and his eyes widened. "Saved your life? What happened?"

"I was going over the log that sits next to the waterfall. My mind was elsewhere and the log was slippery, and I wasn't looking where I was going. I fell and almost landed in the deep parts of the water. I did grab on to a rock, but was slipping. I would have fallen and drowned had Kopa not been there."

Kovu stood there staring at her for a moment. "Vitani, you need to be more careful. Imagine what could've happened if Kopa hadn't been there!!!"

"Yeah, I know."

"What could have been on your mind so much that you weren't paying attention to where you were going?"

"I was just...thinking about what Nuka had told me. About how I can't escape who I am. I'm meant to be here, apparently. Nothing can change that." She looked down at her paws. "I've kind of always wanted the life of Kopa. He doesn't have to worry about being stuck in anyone's shadow, and he certainly doesn't have to worry about hurting anyone."

It was quiet for a while, when a voice from the inside of the cave caught their attention.

"Who doesn't have to worry about hurting anyone?" They both whipped around to find Hatari behind them. She had been eavesdropping on them!!!

"Hatari, how long have you been sitting there, and how much did you hear?"

"Not long, and I only started paying attention when you mentioned that someone doesn't have to worry about being stuck in anyone's shadow, or hurting anyone. Who are ya talking about?" Kovu and Vitani looked at each other. Hatari was known to be a big tattletale. They didn't know if they could trust her.

"No one, Hatari. Mind your own business." Vitani said.

"Oh, I was listening. You were talking about someone."

Vitani knew that Hatari wouldn't let her and Kovu resume talking unless they gave her a satisfactory answer.

"Fine. We were talking about Nuka." Vitani sighed. Hatari looked disappointed.

She sighed. "Mother's not gonna care that you're talking about Nuka. She knows that he's not responsible enough for pretty much anything." She scampered out of the cave, looking for something to do.

Vitani breathed a sigh of relief. She looked over at Kovu, who was clearly about to break out into laughter.

"Nice cover, Vitani. She has no idea."

"Thanks." Vitani answered. "Anyways, Kopa and I agreed to meet by the water hole every day from now on."

Kovu's smile dropped suddenly again. "Every day? Isn't that dangerous? Won't mother find out?"

"Not if I'm careful."

"Good luck, Vitani."

"Thanks." Vitani looked out the cave at Hatari, Nuka, and her mother. "I'm gonna need it."