Chapter one: Zira's point of view

One day, Zira was following her mother while out hunting. Huduma was pretty fast, and it was hard for Zira to keep up. When she had to stop to catch her breath, she smelled water close by. Not thinking, she drifted away from her mother and over to the smell, eventually finding the water hole. Delighted and thirsty, she bounded down to taste the cold, clean water. She lapped some, the sweet beverage felt like heaven on her tounge.

After she finished getting her drink, she turned to go join her mother again. But when she got out of the weeds to the water hole, Huduma was nowhere to be seen!!!! Panicking, Zira ran around, calling for her mother, and trying to retrace her steps. She ran to a Savannah, not looking where she was going, and ran into another lion cub, knocking him over.

Getting up, Zira started apologizing. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!!!" She exclaimed, trying to help the cub up. "That was my fault, I-" But then she stopped cold and realized exactly who she had run into.

"Prince Taka!!!" She exclaimed in fear. "I-I didn't-oh my goodness, I didn't mean-"

"Woah, woah." Taka said. "Slow down. All you did was run into me. You think I'd do anything to you for an accident?"

Zira contemplated his question. "Well, I suppose not, but from what my mother's told me about king Ahadi-"

"Please don't mention him." Taka winced.

"But...why wouldn't I? He's your father."

"Yeah and he sure acts like one." Taka scoffed, then walked around and sat down, his head hung. "My father wishes I didn't exist. He's always spending time with Mufasa. Teaching him the circle of life, showing him how to rule, that stuff. I always stay with my mother, Uru. At least she and Mufasa acknowledge my existence."

"It's like that at my home, too." Zira said softly, and Taka turned around to face her. "My father, Jerahah, is always teaching my older sister, Almasi, and brother, Mabaya, to be evil and take over what should be 'rightfully ours.' I'm usually with my mother, Huduma, but..." She laughed awkwardly. "I-I kind of got lost while going out hunting with her today."

Taka sat there looking at her, then suddenly said, "No problem. You live in the outlands, right?" Zira nodded. "Here, Mufasa knows this land like the back of his paw, I'm sure he'll help you get back home."

She followed Taka back towards the pridelands. She had honestly never been here before. She felt that as she was following Taka up pride rock, all the animals were looking at her and judging her. But then, Taka seemed a bit tense. Was it wrong for an outlander to come into the pridelands? Zira didn't know. When they finally made it to the top, Taka led Zira into pride rock, where his brother was napping. Zira giggled at how lazy the young prince seemed, as Taka shook his brother awake.

"Uh-uh-uh!!!" Mufasa yelped as he was shaken, which just made Zira want to laugh more. Annoyed, Mufasa got up. "Taka, what is it now?" He asked. "I was in the middle of the dream that I was king of the pridelands, and you were king of the outlands, and we brought peace between the two."

"While I would love that if it had been true, Mufasa, we need your help."

"We?" Mufasa asked, noticing Zira for the first time. "Taka, who have you brought here?"

"Haven't gotten her name yet." Taka looked towards Zira.

"Zira." She said. "My name is Zira."

"Yes, thanks." Taka said, then went back to Mufasa. "Anyways, Zira lives in the outlands, and she's lost. We need your help to get her back home."

"Is that you, Taka?" A booming voice came from deeper in the cave.

Mufasa and Taka exchanged worried looks, and said at the same time, "uh-oh."

King Ahadi came out of the shadows, looking directly at Zira. "Taka, why do we have a..." He looked disgusted. "...guest in the pridelands?" Taka started stuttering.

"W-well, father, this is....she's my friend, Zira, and, um...she's...she's from the outlands and-"

"The outlands?!" Ahadi roared, then growled to Taka, "why did you bring an outlander to pride rock???"

"Because..." Taka stammered. "Because she was lost, and I know that..." He looked over at Mufasa, who looked terrified. Then Taka looked back at his father, gulped, and said, "well, I know that place like the back of my paw, but I wanted to introduce Mufasa to Zira."

"Know that place like the back of your paw?!" The King exclaimed. "Taka, the outlands are forbidden for all pridelanders!!!!"

"I know, but..."

"You may return this cub to her home, but I'm going with you, making sure you do the job right."

Now Taka looked scared, but there was no way that he was going to argue with Ahadi. "Yes, sir." He said, and gestured for Zira to come with him, Ahadi close behind.