Chapter seventeen: Nala's point of view

Nala looked at Zira, not leaving the safe place of her mother's paws. Zira still hadn't woken up. Her leg was bad, but they had done everything they could to help. The long grass from the water hole should help with the bleeding. Nala was covered in it, on her back, her leg, her tail. Rafiki should come soon to provide more help and medicine. Still, Nala couldn't help but stare at Zira. She knew it was rude, but this lion, this brave lioness, Nala wasn't exactly taught to trust Outlanders, so that made it even more shocking. All the stories that she had heard of outlanders, those  heartless animals who only watched out for their own kind, were proven wrong by this lioness who had saved her life...and now, Nala didn't know what to think.

Rafiki quickly ran into the cave, his stick at his side, rushing to Nala's aid first. He picked her up, raising her to the sky, chanting in Swahili. Nala felt a breeze brush by her, her wounds suddenly feeling like nothing. Rafiki placed her back in between her mother's paws, peeling the wet grass off of her, revealing nothing but her normal pelt. He then turned to Zira, getting down on one knee and breaking a fruit open, rubbing it on the wound, again, chanting in Swahili. As he got back up, Mufasa came back into the cave, sopping wet from the pouring rain outside. As he began to speak, he shook his head.

"I'm sorry, Sarafina. We just couldn't find Upendo. He never came back to pride rock. We've searched everywhere."

"Upendo..." Nala looked down at Zira again. Her red eyes were slightly open, and her head was up. She spoke in a scratchy voice again. "He...he was there."

"Where?" Nala asked. "What do you mean? Where's daddy???"

"Kinga." Zira said. "The hyena, Kinga. She had Nala today."

"That's right." Zazu said. "That would make sense. When I was walking Simba and Nala back toward pride rock, all I saw was a blur of black and grey, whatever it was shoved me over. Next thing I knew, Nala was missing!!!" Zazu looked at Zira. "How...did you know? How did you and Nala get back here?"

"I saw Kinga as I was making my way to pride rock." Zira answered. "She, Scar and I had a rather...interesting encounter when we were cubs, so I knew that her being in the pridelands couldn't be good. I followed her and hid behind a hill. I saw her put Nala down and strike her twice. All I could do was stand there, I knew that I couldn't have helped in time even if I had tried." She looked down at her paws. "when Kinga brought her paw up to strike once more, Upendo came out of nowhere and attacked Kinga, telling me to get Nala out of there. As I picked her up and started to run, Kinga noticed, and somehow got away from Upendo, digging her teeth into my leg. I dropped Nala and Kinga would have gotten her had Upendo not attacked again." She looked at Sarafina. "I got her again and ran as fast as I could back here." She shook her head. "but that's the last time I saw Upendo."

One of the members of the guard (and the king's most trusted friend), Ujasiri, ran into the cave. His mane was dripping wet, but he was obviously afraid. "Mufasa!!!" He exclaimed. "It's Upendo!!!" Nala and her mother looked up at Ujasiri, afraid of what the news may be.

"Take me to him, Ujasiri." Mufasa answered. "Let me see him."

"Sarabi," Sarafina started. "Take Nala. I want to see Upendo." Sarabi gently lifted Nala from Sarafina's paws and into hers. Nala watched as her mother got up and followed Mufasa and Ujasiri out of pride rock, into the pridelands. Her best friend, Simba tried to cheer her up by trying to play. But Sarabi just shook her head at her son.

"Not now, Simba." She explained gently. "Please, Nala doesn't want to play right now." Simba's ears went down with sadness as he slinked away. Nala looked out the entrance to the cave, awaiting her mother's return.