The Dragon's Scale

Start from the beginning

"Okay, boys, pick your teams."

The first few picks came at rapid fire, but as the line dwindled, the two captains analyzed their remaining choices. Brian had already claimed Tom, so Josh mentally pleaded for Brian to pick him as well.

Darren's eyes scanned the line. When they landed on Josh, he was reminded that he wanted on Brian's team for other reasons than to be with Tom.

A rush of annoyance and disgust flowed through Josh as his eyes met Darren's. He must have felt the same because his analytical frown turned into a sneer.

A spark of excitement joined Darren's anger. Josh's stomach rolled and he straightened from his slouch. Was the brute going to pick Josh just to spite him? He relaxed when Darren picked a girl a few students down. Brian chose Josh next, only adding to his relief.

"You glare Darren out of picking you or something?" Tom asked when Josh jogged over.

"Something like that. Who wants to be on a team with a ball hog?" Josh waved off the subject.

Tom accepted the reasoning. Josh released a long breath and willed the tension away from his shoulders. Great. Two subjects he had lied about to avoid.

To add to his glorious day, Brian decided Josh would be best fit as the goalie. Tom coughed to hide his smirk. Josh sent him a quick glare before running to the goal.

Brian assigned the rest of the team their parts, and Darren did the same for his team. Mr. Willis checked with both sides, nodded his satisfaction, then gave the whistle for the game to begin.

And with it came the chaos of high school gym.

Josh would rather be out on the field, but being stuck at the goal provided a hilarious view. Students on both sides almost fell on their faces trying to kick or steal the ball. Missed passes had the ball changing sides every few seconds. If he was playing, he would be annoyed. Waiting at the goal, he snickered at the failed attempts to play.

Where were they? They had to be here somewhere.

Josh stiffened. The edges of his vision danced with the flames as thoughts not his own whispered through him. No, not again. He had already escaped the dream.

The grassy field before him wavered, momentarily replaced with the burning forest.

How was this attack even happening? The sanctums were guarded from anyone finding their location. They should have been safe.

This wasn't going to happen again. Josh gritted his teeth and rubbed the heels of his palms against his eyes.

"Josh!"

He jerked his head up as a few different voices called his name. The forest was gone again, but he didn't have time to be relieved. Darren's team had gained the ball and kicked it his way. He dove for it, but the ball sailed past his fingertips.

Josh groaned before pushing himself up. If he thought his teammates had looked foolish, he could only imagine how he had just looked. This dream was getting annoying.

"You daydreaming again, Josh?" Darren asked, just quiet enough the others running back toward the center wouldn't hear.

Josh clenched his jaw and tossed the soccer ball across the field. "How about you just shove it, Darren?"

Darren gave a nonchalant shrug and smiled innocently. "Just checking on a classmate."

Josh glowered at Darren's back as he ran toward the center, his shoulders shaking with laughter. If Josh had a say, Darren's team was not getting another point. All he had to do was shake off this dream.