16 - Blind Love

Lightning flew from Ryu's hands, slamming into the large man hovering above Yuumai. Hoping that Ino was fine behind him, he jogged up to Yuumai. He quickly helped the girl raise to her feet. Yuumai took the hand he offered. "Are you okay?" he asked.

Yuumai glared slightly but nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Ryu rolled his eyes. "What? Not happy I had to save your life again?" he asked as he turned toward the enemy once more. There were a nice number of bandits. Of course, there would have to be to hold an entire village at bay. "Stay behind me, okay?"

The statement was only one to protect the girl, but Ryu could feel the death glares drilling into the back of his head. Of course, they were not the only eyes he felt on him. Ryu refused to look at Daichi, though he was fully aware the gaze he felt belonged to that man. He had to stay focused on the bandits who were interested in the sudden reappearance of their person of interest.

"Ryu." The lazy voice nearly made Ryu jump, but it also flooded him with relief. After a day of worrying about his team-mates' lives, hearing Shikamaru's, even in the grave tone he used, it lifted the weight that had been on his shoulders. "By any chance, did you have a plan before you rushed in?"

"Depends. Does running in to kick some butt count as a plan?"

A sigh answered him. "You're as bad as the other two," he grumbled. "How troublesome."

Before Ryu had the chance say anything, a body slammed down in front of him. He jerked, preparing for a fight, but the bandit seemed too dazed to get back up. After a quick glance from the direction he'd come from, Ryu saw that Chouji had sent the man flying with an enlarged hand. The path now clear of enemies, Chouji jogged over to his team-mates.

"Looks like we're all back together." Ino appeared beside Shikamaru, already a bit worn due to the run over then instant battle. "Except for Asuma-sensei," she murmured.

The genin all turned toward the most powerful duo in the area. Daichi was examining all of them, his hungry eyes falling upon Ryu at last. Senshi wore a victorious smirk. Asuma was expressionless, though he did seem focused on his team. But the children could all tell one thing - he was lost to them. There was something so lifeless about him, stolen away by the genjutsu placed upon him by Daichi.

Because they were so focused on their sensei, it was instead the Forest Villager who spoke. "If we don't have a plan or anything, we need to just grab Aiko and run for help."

"We would never make it," Shikamaru sighed. "Ryu and Ino were lucky getting away last time."

The chuckle from Ryu shocked all the others except Ino, who already knew what was on his mind. "When you asked if we had a plan, I didn't actually say we didn't." The lazy glower he received caused Ryu to laugh nervously. "You guys are going to have to trust me on what I'm about to tell you."

"We've got your back, Ryu," Chouji said, flashing a grin. It was forced, though, the stress fighting the action.

"Either your plan works or we're even worse than when we started," the Nara pointed out. "This is such a drag."

Yuumai was the only one who hadn't spoken. Ryu raised an eyebrow, though he refused to fully take his eyes off Daichi. Thankfully he seemed to find their "hopeless" situation amusing. The bandits were also waiting for his orders. He only needed the shock to wait for about another minute and they'd be good. "Whatever." Yuumai's voice cut through Ryu's thoughts. "Just make sure you save my sister or I'll kill you."

With the consent of everyone, Ryu quickly relayed the plan.

He will still explaining the finishing touches when a voice began to overlap his. "You know, I've been waiting to see if you would do anything, but it seems like you're finally realizing you are powerless," Daichi called. "So if you don't want to make the first move, I can."