7 - Before Your Eyes

Slowly but surely, the sun made its way higher into the sky, bathing the Leaf in a bright, warming light. The village colors were becoming more and more distinct as the light covered the place, making it even more beautiful than it was except for when the sun set.

The person who enjoyed its beauty the most stood on top of the Hokage building, looking over his precious village. Hiruzen's hands were behind his back, one hand gripping the other's wrist. His red and white hat hung over his face, blocking his head from the sun's rays.

It was in this position that Asuma found his father as he arrived on the roof. Instead of saying anything immediately, he walked over and just stood beside him. Asuma watched at the village he was sworn to protect. He would need to leave soon, he noted. At least before the sun rose too high. It was almost noon, and that was when he was supposed to go meet his new students. This was what drove the Sarutobi to speak.

"So, you put Ryu on my team," he stated, neither of their eyes moving from the village.

Hiruzen nodded. "I figured it was the best solution possible. You and I are the only members of the Leaf who know of his past, and you have been teaching him for two years," the Hokage explained.

Asuma smirked. "I guess I should say thanks, right?" he said. "You gave me a kid I already know and three others who come from tight knit clans." Asuma sighed. "And yet I still have a feeling this won't be easy on me." He'd been reaching for his cigarette pack as he'd spoken, and when he finished, he put one in his mouth and lit it.

The Hokage smiled. "You're the one who chose to become a jonin instructor, my son."

Asuma exhaled a cloud of smoke. He leaned forward against the bars, wanting to know one last thing before he left. "You'll try to keep us away from anything that will bring up things from his past, right?"

"You know that I will," Hiruzen sad, sending Asuma a sideways glance. "You'd better get going, Asuma, if you want to get to your team."

With a small smile as a farewell, Asuma jumped onto the railing. He gazed down at the Academy roof, wondering if his cigarette would be blown out by the wind. The only reason he wasn't going the normal way was so he didn't have to put it out. Would this entire thing have the same result? Deciding to take the chance, Asuma leaped off the railing.

****

Ryu stared expressionlessly as yet another team left with their sensei. There were only three teams left: team three, team seven, and team ten. The other seven teams had been taken by their senseis.

"Jeez. Our sensei is taking time, isn't she?" Ino complained.

"Who says it's going to be a girl?" Ryu inquired, his eyes resting on the Yamanaka. "For all we know, it could be a talking dog."

"Dogs can still be either male or female," Ino pointed out, but she did look disgusted by the thought of having a dog sensei. "Is it even possible for someone to have an animal as a sensei?"

He shrugged. "Not sure." His eyes flickered to the mostly silent males of the group. The only sound really coming from them was Chouji eating the chips. Shikamaru's head was resting on the desk, but Ryu wasn't sure whether or not he was sleeping.

Well, it was definitely an interesting group. Ryu observed all this, trying to figure out just how he thought everything would turn out. Not only that, but who would their sensei be? And whoever they were, where were they? Ryu temporarily wondered if they would be the last to leave.

Ryu's eyes made their way to team seven. Naruto was restless, pacing back and forth in front of the desk. Sasuke sat in the desk he paced in front of, his chin resting within his clasped hands. Sakura leaned against the desk beside his, staring ahead at the knucklehead blond.